Back Sweetening

Working on my first couple batches, so very much a beginner, with another beginner question.

I racked a small batch to secondary last night, and it appears to be done fermenting (OG 1.11, FG 1.003) and with 71B 1122 I believe that should be all done at around 14% (if my math is right).

After it finishes settling out I intend to sweeten it some before bottling. Am I correct in thinking I should add the honey before I drop in stabilizer, as opposed to afterwards, so any wild yeasts in the honey will also be killed off?

I want it flat, a bit sweeter, and no bottle bombs :slight_smile:

Thanks
jb

[quote=“jbushee”] Am I correct in thinking I should add the honey before I drop in stabilizer, as opposed to afterwards, so any wild yeasts in the honey will also be killed off?

Thanks
jb[/quote]
Stabilize and sulfite 12-24hrs prior to backsweetening.

[quote=“jbushee”]Working on my first couple batches, so very much a beginner, with another beginner question.

I racked a small batch to secondary last night, and it appears to be done fermenting (OG 1.11, FG 1.003) and with 71B 1122 I believe that should be all done at around 14% (if my math is right).

After it finishes settling out I intend to sweeten it some before bottling. Am I correct in thinking I should add the honey before I drop in stabilizer, as opposed to afterwards, so any wild yeasts in the honey will also be killed off?

Thanks
jb[/quote]

Did you boil the honey before adding the yeast?

Answer, honey (or raw sugar) in an inhospitable environment for yeast/bacteria to live. When was the last time you had bad sugar in your pantry. Or had honey go bad.

But like BB said, sulfate before adding would be the best practice.

I didn’t boil or heat the honey when I made the batch.

Heat destroys delicate flavors in honey.

My point was that you didn’t worry about wild bacteria in the original honey. No need to worry about it in the back sweetening honey.

My point was that you didn’t worry about wild bacteria in the original honey. No need to worry about it in the back sweetening honey.[/quote]

I’m new and trying to learn, not be difficult. What I was trying to get at on my question is, what’s to stop any wild yeast in the honey I use to back sweeten with from starting to ferment again, unless I stabilize afterwards. It seemed that that yeast would ferment and at least carbonate in the bottles.

What I’m hearing is that there probably isn’t any, because honey isn’t a good environment for yeast in the first place. I wasn’t aware of this, and guess I assumed ( :slight_smile: ) that there’d be some wild yeast.

[quote=“jbushee”] I’m new and trying to learn, not be difficult. What I was trying to get at on my question is, what’s to stop any wild yeast in the honey I use to back sweeten with from starting to ferment again, unless I stabilize afterwards. It seemed that that yeast would ferment and at least carbonate in the bottles.

What I’m hearing is that there probably isn’t any, because honey isn’t a good environment for yeast in the first place. I wasn’t aware of this, and guess I assumed ( :slight_smile: ) that there’d be some wild yeast.[/quote]
Even if there were, your talking about a solution that has sulfites, potassium sorbate, and a high alcohol level.
If you added it before the additions you would be restarting fermentation and then trying to stop it again.