Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Back-sweetening sparkling cider

I recently made a sparkling cider that turned out pretty dry. I am hoping to back-sweeten my next batch before bottling with some apple juice concentrate or honey, but am not sure how much to use for a 5 gal batch… which got me thinking.

Lets just say that I used 1 can of concentrate and felt that I wanted it sweeter. Could I (in theory) add an endless amount of fermentable sugar at bottling, assuming that I check the bottles frequently for carbonation, then pasteurize the bottles when desired sweetness/carbonation levels are obtained?

Making non-dry, sparkling cider is very difficult. You could do as you suggest, but pasturizing in the bottles will require significant time at elevated temperatures, and I strongly suspect that will change the flavor.
I have a friend who had done exactly what you suggest with one difference: instead of pasturizing, he just put all the bottles in the fridge and kept them too cold for the yeast to be active until they were consumed. That worked well, though he may have ended up with a fridge full of bottle bombs if he ever lost power for a few days.
Or you could do it as the commercial guys do: once dry, make sure the yeast is gone (either by sterile filtering or by adding sulfite and sorbate), then sweeten, artificially carbonate and bottle. I’ve done this, kegging it to get the carbonation. I don’t have a beer gun, so bottling was a pain, but it is possible.

Read up on potassium sulfate and potassium sorbate.

Which will inhibit/prohibit carbonation in the bottle.

Artificial sweeteners is the only option I see if you want to maintain the ABV, increase the sweetness and have it carbonate in the bottle.

Which will inhibit/prohibit carbonation in the bottle.

Artificial sweeteners is the only option I see if you want to maintain the ABV, increase the sweetness and have it carbonate in the bottle.[/quote]
Guess I missed that he wanted to carbonate.

You could also add lactose to sweeten, however I found it adds a mouthfeel I don’t particularly care for in a cider.

If we knew the OP’s general location, someone with a kegging system might volunteer to carbonate a batch for him?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com