Back on Tap

3 weeks ago I poured out between 15 and 18 gallons of beer. :evil:
I do 10 gallon batches and both my pale ale and stout had a major off flavor. I went back through my notes and think it was driven by bad calculation on starter growth rate. Bad starting cell count throws off final cell cout calculator. It was either that or I didn’t rinse my fermenter and there was oxy left on the walls. It was not an infection type of flavor. I really believe it was stressed yeast. The flavor never mellowed in the keg so I finally had to dump it all.
Just to be sure I replaced the tubing on all the lines, quadruple rinsed the fermenter, grew a major starter and rebrewed the pale ale, stout and a small batch of Cascadian Mountian Imperial IPA. Finally have all three taps back open.
Let that be a lesson, focus on the basics or be destined to a sink full of foam.

[quote=“NanoBrew”]3 weeks ago I poured out between 15 and 18 gallons of beer. :evil:
I do 10 gallon batches and both my pale ale and stout had a major off flavor. I went back through my notes and think it was driven by bad calculation on starter growth rate. Bad starting cell count throws off final cell cout calculator. It was either that or I didn’t rinse my fermenter and there was oxy left on the walls. It was not an infection type of flavor. I really believe it was stressed yeast. The flavor never mellowed in the keg so I finally had to dump it all.
Just to be sure I replaced the tubing on all the lines, quadruple rinsed the fermenter, grew a major starter and rebrewed the pale ale, stout and a small batch of Cascadian Mountian Imperial IPA. Finally have all three taps back open.
Let that be a lesson, focus on the basics or be destined to a sink full of foam.[/quote]

Can you describe the off flavor? I have had a stout recently that I think may have stressed the yeast. It’s bottle conditioning right now, But the sample from the bottling bucket had a different “twang” than I’ve had in other beers…could be old extract, but the yeast cake appeared funny when I wracked to the bottling bucket.

Thanks in advance…

Twang is about as close as I can describe it. I reviewed all the lists I could find of off flavor descriptions and could not find anything that described it. The extract was fresh. I have used older extracts in the past and did not get a flavor like this. All the malt and hop flavors were there but there was an underlying twang. The more you drink it the worse it got. I left both beers in the keg for months and the flavor did not mellow and did not get worse.
When I looked at my log and recalculated pitching rate it was definitely under pitched. It did attenuate within range but stress is my best guess.

[quote=“NanoBrew”]Twang is about as close as I can describe it. I reviewed all the lists I could find of off flavor descriptions and could not find anything that described it. The extract was fresh. I have used older extracts in the past and did not get a flavor like this. All the malt and hop flavors were there but there was an underlying twang. The more you drink it the worse it got. I left both beers in the keg for months and the flavor did not mellow and did not get worse.
When I looked at my log and recalculated pitching rate it was definitely under pitched. It did attenuate within range but stress is my best guess.[/quote]
If was a twang. Scorched your malt extract. That will cause a twang that a lot of extract brewers get. Always remove from heat and add extract and stir stir. Pour slowly and mix it up before extract has a chance to hit bottom of your still hot kettle.

[quote=“damian_winter”][quote=“NanoBrew”]Twang is about as close as I can describe it. I reviewed all the lists I could find of off flavor descriptions and could not find anything that described it. The extract was fresh. I have used older extracts in the past and did not get a flavor like this. All the malt and hop flavors were there but there was an underlying twang. The more you drink it the worse it got. I left both beers in the keg for months and the flavor did not mellow and did not get worse.
When I looked at my log and recalculated pitching rate it was definitely under pitched. It did attenuate within range but stress is my best guess.[/quote]
If was a twang. Scorched your malt extract. That will cause a twang that a lot of extract brewers get. Always remove from heat and add extract and stir stir. Pour slowly and mix it up before extract has a chance to hit bottom of your still hot kettle.[/quote]
+1They say if you have a fifa coin in your pocket you won’t get extract twang. :lol:

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“damian_winter”][quote=“NanoBrew”]Twang is about as close as I can describe it. I reviewed all the lists I could find of off flavor descriptions and could not find anything that described it. The extract was fresh. I have used older extracts in the past and did not get a flavor like this. All the malt and hop flavors were there but there was an underlying twang. The more you drink it the worse it got. I left both beers in the keg for months and the flavor did not mellow and did not get worse.
If was a twang. Scorched your malt extract. That will cause a twang that a lot of extract brewers get. Always remove from heat and add extract and stir stir. Pour slowly and mix it up before extract has a chance to hit bottom of your still hot kettle.[/quote]
+1They say if you have a fifa coin in your pocket you won’t get extract twang. :lol: [/quote]
Interesting. Have you seen anywhere I can get those :roll:

[quote=“dannyboy58”]
+1They say if you have a fifa coin in your pocket you won’t get extract twang. :lol: [/quote]

That’s why they are always pushing those coins on us. I knew I should have bought a few!

[quote=“NanoBrew”]Twang is about as close as I can describe it. I reviewed all the lists I could find of off flavor descriptions and could not find anything that described it. The extract was fresh. I have used older extracts in the past and did not get a flavor like this. All the malt and hop flavors were there but there was an underlying twang. The more you drink it the worse it got. I left both beers in the keg for months and the flavor did not mellow and did not get worse.

One of the worst beers I ever made was underpitched with extract. That flavor is horrible! I tossed some Orval dregs in it as an experiment (brett B), because I had nothing to lose, and a couple of months later it was gone and had developed an incredible pineapple/peach ester profile. If you have an extra fermenter, maybe you could turn it into something really unique?

I put a bag of hops in one of the kegs of pale ale to dry hop it and try to mask the flavor. Had a nice IPA hoppyness to it and then left with the same twang after taste. Was terrible.
Alas, I am enjoying a very cleanly fermented pale ale now so all is well.