Avoiding Sediment While Filtering

I have a batch of beer that, for whatever reason, won’t drop clear. I’m looking into filtering the batch, which will be the first time I’m using the filter, but I thought of a problem. How do I avoid the sediment that will inevitably come out of the keg during the last pint or so from clogging my filter?

Maybe the answer is as easy as not filtering all of the beer out of the keg. But how do I know when the keg is just about empty?

First, have you ever tried gelatin? It’s a very easy way to clear. Also, a lot of the sediment will drop after kegging and cooling. Might have 1 cloudy pint. Last, you’ll know when your keg is complete because you’ll pour a crisp clear pint. Then you’ll want another one and that one will spit and sputter and you’ll pour a pint of muck. It’s all good.

+1 to gelatin. I bought a filter setup & used it twice before realizing that it just wasn’t worth my time. Gelatin is quick, easy & does a great job with next to no effort.

Gelatin is all I use (aside from the usual, like whirlfloc and cold crashing). I follow this advice, and it has never let me down:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64190

[quote=“Silentknyght”]Gelatin is all I use (aside from the usual, like whirlfloc and cold crashing). I follow this advice, and it has never let me down:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64190[/quote]

Can you add gelatin after you have kegged the beer. And just dump the first pint or so?

Sorry for the late reply, but I’ve already added gelatin once, and while it did clear it a little, it didn’t drop everything out.

Up until now gelatin has been my go to as well, but I recieved a filter as a gift and would like to know how to use it properly.

Oh. The haze is not chill haze as the beer is cloudy both warm and cold. I think the FG of the beer might have something to do with it. The beer fnished around 1.024. I mashed too high by mistake. The beer has great mouthfeel, but just won’t clear up for me.