Auto-siphon problem

I just bought a starter brew kit and I can’t get the auto-siphon to work. I tried placing the vinyl tube in hot water to create a better seal but it won’t create a siphon. The tube doesn’t have any cracks as I’m able to start a siphon manually with just the tube. Any ideas?

What about the rubber gasket?

Are you “pumping” it enough?
It seems like it sometimes take a couple swift pumps of the inner cane piece.

Or is the tube attached well so there isn’t an air leak?

[quote=“ibeentired”]What about the rubber gasket?

Are you “pumping” it enough?
It seems like it sometimes take a couple swift pumps of the inner cane piece.

Or is the tube attached well so there isn’t an air leak?[/quote]
I think air must be entering where the vinyl tube connects. A tiny bit of water is dripping from there.

When I first used an autosiphon, I tried the piece of tubing that fit over the siphon. It leaked. Then I took the small inner diameter piece and used it. It is very hard to get on and off. But, it works. I am sorry that I can’t give you measurements of the tubing ID or OD.

mine will still work with a leaky tube attached.

I hate to ask, but you do have the container you are siphoning in to below the container containing liquid right?

[quote=“shizzy”]mine will still work with a leaky tube attached.

I hate to ask, but you do have the container you are siphoning in to below the container containing liquid right?[/quote]
Yeah, the liquid is on a counter and the empty bucket is on the ground. I’m thinking the siphon must be broken because I’ve tried pumping it a ton of times and the video shows a siphon forming after 1 or 2 pumps.

does the rubber plunger on the inside piece make a good seal to the inside of the outer tube?

It’s such a simple contraption, there are not many things to go wrong.

But yes, mine starts moving fluid after 1-2 pumps.

They always say it is 1/2" but the only way I’ve been able to hold a siphon is with 7/16’ tubing. It’s a little hard to get it over the end of the siphon tube but it’s worth it because it then works. :cheers:

I’m not a fan of glass carboys, so I ferment in better bottles and plastic pails. Mine are all have holes and valves at the bottom so I haven’t started a syphon in years. I know this doesn’t help you right now, but it’s something to think about in the future. I LOVE the convenience this provides…

I’ve been through the same issue and the best thing I tryed was the “smaller” tubing. As said above its hard to get on, but works great.

Although the auto siphon is neat brew toy, you don’t need it if you are stuck. An old fashion racing cane, some tubing and your kitchen faucet work.

Connect the tubing to the racking cane, put the end of the tubing under the faucet with the cane pointing up. Turn on the faucet and blow water through until water flows out the other end. Stick your sanitized thumb over the end of the tubing and quickly turn over the racking cane and shove it into the fermeter and the tubing into the receiving vessel below. You can have a bucket or something next to it to catch the water if you don’t want it in your beer. Let it rip. I have done it this way for a long time and never felt the need for an auto siphon. YMMV

Everyone says this until they have one

i use a auto siphon i got at a truckstop shake it twice and its flowing