Auto Siphon and a Bucket

Anyone have a clever way of attaching a siphon to a bucket when racking to a keg? I had to hold it last time (which can take a while) and I picked upa lot of sedament because I wasn’t paying attention. I typically use carboys and can wedge the siphon in place. No such luck with a bucket.

Any help would be great.

Merry Christmas!

Perhaps a large paper clip, partially opened up to keep from crimping the line. Or a simple wood clamp lightly set (non-spring type). Lastly, maybe just some tape.

:cheers:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/5-16 ... clamp.html

^^^^^^^

+1 - it works for both carboys and buckets. I have one and used it all the time

Another option would be to purchase a 1/2 " auto siphon. I can rack 5 gallons of brew into a keg in
3 -5 minutes

I ferment in bottling buckets with spigots - takes a little attention to detail as far as sanitation, but it is awesome as far as transferring to kegs, bottling bucket, etc. Just attach tubing, take out airlock, open spigot… gravity does the rest.

[quote=“CobiaTower”]Another option would be to purchase a 1/2 " auto siphon. I can rack 5 gallons of brew into a keg in
3 -5 minutes[/quote]

Do you rack directly into the dip tube?

Thanks for the advice guys. I don’t know why a clamp never occured to me.

No, I have a hose I run to the bottom of the keg I am filling.

I would recommend you take the extra 5 to 8 minutes and manually guide the auto-siphon a few inches below the top of the brew as it flows out of the primary (or secondary) into the racking bucket. I mean, hey… you’ve been waiting a week or so on your beer, after a few hours of cooking. What’s another few minutes of hands-on involvement? When it nears the bottom, gently lean the bucket to one side and guide the sipon into the “clearer” area. Being careful, I’m sure you can manage without pumping a lot of trub into the racking bucket. Besides, the sign of a nice real beer is a little bit of sediment. It’s not going to hurt you. Good Luck!

[quote=“monk-e-business”]Besides, the sign of a nice real beer is a little bit of sediment.[/quote]And the sign of a great real beer is no sediment! :wink:

That is what I was thinking!

I agree that standing there an extra couple of minutes is no big deal. But sometimes I just have to step away (baby crying, my beautiful wife yelling, etc…) For those instances, I needed something to help me out.

A large binder clip. The black plastic ones. Ask anyone sitting in a cubicle, they’ll have one.

You can open the lid on the bucket half way and then insert the siphon an inch from the bottom of the bucket. The pressure on the siphon from the lid will hold it in place.