Attention to detail

Took a 10 day family vacation to Southern Bavaria and Northern Austria last month. Tried and enjoyed every beer that I could find (which was a lot). The qualitiy of the beer was just amazing. It inspired my to take a look at my own process at home. I’ve been less than excited about my beers over the past 12 months: lack balance, lagers that don’t attenuate well enough, etc. I’ve brewed twice since the vacation and each time I really tried to focus on every detail during brew-day. Additionally, I’ve paid a lot more attention to my fermentation. (no set it and forget it this time) I tapped a weissbier this past weekend and am very pleased. Maybe the best I’ve made. I sampled my helles as well and it’s fully attenuated and very promising to be a best ever.

I don’t know if it’s the vacation to Germany that did it or not. Either way, I highly recommend it. heh.

1 Like

I think the German styles lend themselves to strict procedure awareness. I believe that’s where that “German flavor” is originating that many strive for.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t buy all this “low oxygen brew ha ha” stuff that’s going around. But it might just lend itself to closer attention to detail and thus better beer.

I’ve since been deleted from that “awesome German brewing forum.” It’s only for the cool. :sunglasses:
I too disagree with the no O2 and no copper brewing, seeing how yeast need O2 and equipment has been made out of copper for years. Oh yeah… NO proof.

Ken Lenard has some excellent German beer recipes and brewing tips at: http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/recipes.htm

His Biergarten Pilsner is intended to approach an authentic German Pils. It came out very close in my opinion.

That is a great site with great recipes. @ken_lenard used to post around here but I don’t see him around very often, if at all. He was very insightful, especially with the lagers.

1 Like

The german grundlich heid.

Hey Old_Dawg and Loopie. Yeah, I haven’t been over here much… mostly at Brew-Bros and on the AHA forum. I haven’t updated my site in awhile either. Funny that this is under MASHING because although I love my German styles, I don’t put much additional effort into mashing like a German. I generally do single-infusion mashes and the occasional Hochkurz mash. One thing I try to follow is simple German recipe design. The German process may have some complexity but the recipes are simple. I recently made an Oktoberfest with just 50% German Pils, 50% Munich 2, one additional of Magnum for about 27 IBUs and Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager 2 yeast. Delicious. The other thing I try to do is use good German ingredients and my new favorite is Weyermann Barke Pils. It’s some sort of an heirloom variety of barley that is fantastic. Cheers.

2 Likes

Whoa dudes, the lager guru heard yer posts! Bravo! Sneezles61