Attempted Recipe Clone - Input Needed

So if you were to be asked to recreate a brew, that is similar to something available from the larger breweries or similar to someone else’s existing brew, what steps do you take to attempt it?

Are there resources out there that might have the grain bill and/or hops used? What size batch would you work with to work up your clone? Did I miss anything?

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

[quote=“Octabird”]So if you were to be asked to recreate a brew, that is similar to something available from the larger breweries or similar to someone else’s existing brew, what steps do you take to attempt it?

Are there resources out there that might have the grain bill and/or hops used? What size batch would you work with to work up your clone? Did I miss anything?

Mr. Octabird
American Made![/quote]

I’d start by contacting the brewery to see what info they might give out. I make 5 gal. test batches.

Also, mentioning the beer you are attempting to clone here may help.

Oh yes sorry. European mild like Wuhrer or Bierra Moretti. I assume yeast would play a big part in this as well. Thanks.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

Wuhrer is made by Peroni. I would google peroni recipe clone. It’s a pretty simple pilsner really. You’d need the ability to lager and yea I’d guess the yeast might be the thing that could be hard to reproduce.

I’ve never cared much for peroni or moretti until I had them on tap in Italy. Fresh they’re not bad but still not great. Much prefer Estrella Damm or Urquell Pilsner.

Thanks dannyboy, adventure is ready to begin.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

I found something similar to what I was looking for and have a recipe.
I used the BIAB calculator to get a feeling for a 1 gallon test batch. Will report back soon.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!