Are Some Yeast Just Faster than Others

Pitched my Kviek strain last time at 90F and then let it do its own thing. That would be a no-no with almost all other strains but Kviek handles abuse. Saison and Wheat strains are also very tolerant.

1 Like

Iā€™m ordering an LME kit with the Omega kveik yeast with temps up 98F. Iā€™ll try this in a month as temps here start to climb for the summer. This will be a great test to see how well it performs here in AZ temps and low humidity. Iā€™ll plan for May as we usually hit triple digits by then with night times in the 90ā€™s. I keep the house HVAC around 78-80F during the hot summer months.
As for this batch, Iā€™m confident sheā€™s ok. Iā€™ve got the temp holding between 68-70F and plan to just let her go. She seems to be clearing up quite well. As with my last batch, Iā€™ll check the gravity in a few days and let her sit at room temp a day or two before bottling.

You may want to look at learning to save some yeast from the yeast cakeā€¦ I donā€™t have any faith of yeast showing up in good shape when the temperatures climbā€¦ Heck, you may end up being a yeast rancher like a few of us here areā€¦ Sneezles61

2 Likes

That sounds cool. Iā€™ll look into that, but for now Iā€™ll use a local for the yeast. I understand most wont warrant shipments in warm weather.

2 Likes

Me order kveik. From yeastbay. Ship it true fedex. This seems to work for me. Do collect and harvest the kveik as well. Have a nice colection right now.

1 Like

Itā€™s pretty simple really. Just sanitize a container like a mason jar, leave enough beer on the cake to swirl it up and pour into the container, cap loosely and store in the fridge.

Or learn to make a larger starter and save some of the starter before each use. Then use some of what you saved to make the next starter, save and repeat. I feel some yeasts stay truer to form longer this way.

Well itā€™s been sitting in the secondary for a week and still some bubbles in the airlock. This has been a learning process to say the least with a very active yeast and trying to control the temps using a water bath. And a broken hydrometer on top of that.
I purchased a new hydrometer so Iā€™m going to go by the recipe OG and todayā€™s reading of 1.012. All other SG readings Iā€™m tossing. The taste and smell are good (bud-like perfect for my wife). The color is a nice gold color and it has cleared very nicely in the carboy.
Plan forward is to leave it alone and check the gravity on Saturday. The recipe calls for a FG=1.010. Iā€™m planning to bottle this batch on Saturday if sheā€™s ready.
The lesson here is leave it alone. Let it do itā€™s work and count on your eyes, nose, taste and SG readings. Also learned how to control temps with water bath/evap. Iā€™ve learned about kveik yeasts, etc. All in all itā€™s been a great learning experience.
Now Iā€™m looking into a BIAB w/kveik yeast for my next batch.

Yes. Your on your way. Patience. The golden word. Me brew friday a. Gooze island ipa. All grain got my kveik yeast starter ready.

Well, hereā€™s what became of that hot mess a little over a week in the bottle. It tastes pretty good, but I think she needs another week.

3 Likes