Are bottle caps dishwasher safe?

My dishwasher has a sanitize mode which works great for cleaning bottles. Got me thinking, are the bottlecaps dishwasher safe? Would be great if I could throw a handful into the silverware compartment and have them sanitized. Btw, no, I do not use dish detergent when washing bottles.

I think the seals will melt or deform. FWIW, I rarely sanitize my caps and if I do, I merely put them in a small bowl filled with sanitizer and H2O.

Years ago (pre StarSan) I used to put them in boiling water with no issues.

If I remember right, the oxy caps shouldn’t be put in hot water.

A StarSan dunk is real easy though.

I also just thoss them in starsan. I usually have something else sanitizing so I take a little, put it in a cup, and drop my caps in.

I thought I read they were not to get wet at all. From my understanding they need moisture (beer in this case) to activate and start absorbing oxygen. This is why you flip the bottle after capping. If you put them in sanitizer before bottling you activate them and they absorb the O2 before capping.

That might be it. It’s been a while since I’ve bottled.

I thought I read they were not to get wet at all. From my understanding they need moisture (beer in this case) to activate and start absorbing oxygen. This is why you flip the bottle after capping. If you put them in sanitizer before bottling you activate them and they absorb the O2 before capping.[/quote]

How to sanitize them then?

I thought I read they were not to get wet at all. From my understanding they need moisture (beer in this case) to activate and start absorbing oxygen. This is why you flip the bottle after capping. If you put them in sanitizer before bottling you activate them and they absorb the O2 before capping.[/quote]

How to sanitize them then?[/quote]Don’t worry about it as long as they have been in a clean sealed bag.

That’s how the pros handle capping. Just pull the caps out of the bag and use them.

Thanks everyone.

(Puts his caps in a sealed Baggie)