Applelonious Hop

So I was checking out the Northern Brewer TV section and they had a video of a style called Graf. After watching the video about it, it seemed like an interesting recipe to try. So I came up with one. I looked at the one that was supplied and kinda made some modifications to it. I want to use 3 gallons worth of fresh pressed cider to 2 gallons of wort. Anyways, here it is:

3lbs - Dark DME
1lb - Caramel 120L
8oz - Roasted Barley
8oz - Cherrywood Smoked Malt
8oz - Pale Chocolate
4oz - Chocolate Wheat

1oz - German Magnum - 60min
1oz - German Hallertau - 30min
1oz - German Tettnang - 15min
1oz - German Northern Brewer - 5min

1tsp - Allspice - 2min boil
1tsp - Cinnamon - 2min boil
1tsp - Allspice - Secondary
1tsp - Cinnamon - Secondary
5.4floz - Bourbon - Secondary

I know it has a bit more going on than the recipe that they supply and mention but I want to make it my own and give it something about me. I think this would be perfect for winter or around Thanksgiving. Seeing as the style is still in an experimental phase, I don’t have an accurate OG, ABV, or IBU. Just being water, the ibu’s sit at 95.8 right now but the 3 gallons of apple cider will really work against that.

There is a lot going on in that recipe. Remember a lot of ingredients does not equal a lot of complexity.if it were me, I’d simplify it. I’ve never had or made a ‘graf’ so it’s hard to say considering I don’t know exactly what you’re going for… but I’d use light dme, skip the bourbon, use one type of chocolate or none, lighter on the crystal, and a bit lighter on the hops, and hope for the best

If your start simple, it will be easier to determine what to change the next time around. Maybe you should try a test bach, with simple light dme, dash of crystal, and apple cider just to see how beer/cider blends

Or better yet, get a few styles of beer, and a few bottles of hard cider. Then mix them in different ways and see what you think. Might give you an idea of what style mixes best with cider

Thanks S.Scoggin for the input. Yeah I would probably take out the pale chocolate and leave the chocolate wheat. That seems a bit too much. I was also thinking of downing the hops to only 2 hop breeds too. It’s tough though because this style is more experimental than anything and there isn’t much out there to help with it. Figure input from other users is the best way to find out.

I calculated what the ibus for the recipe they provide for the one Brewing TV talks about and they were right around what this recipe was with those hops that comes in at about 94 or 95. This recipe is right around that mark. I think the wort needs a higher ibu to counter the total sweetness of the apple cider. As far as style wise, I am trying for a stout like recipe. Personally, that’s one of my favorite styles and I figure the characteristics would go fairly well with the apple cider. The recipe provided goes with Amber LME and, looking at the video, theirs is pretty dark, and given I have the roasted steeping malts and such, it may be better to go with the light like you suggested.

I like experimenting and all but also want to make something that tastes good so getting input on it is really helpful.

There won’t be any sweetness from the cider after it ferments. Think dry white wine. Only minimal hops are required. These take a long time to come together, bulk aging for six months before bottling helps.
I made a six gallon batch last fall with three gallons of wort and three of cider. The wort was six pounds of Munich LME with a pound of C-60 and a pound of carapils steeped with some cinnamon and nutmeg in the boil. I racked to secondary with a pile of chopped apples to provide a little apple flavor because you get very little from the cider.
When I bottled I boiled some more cinnamon and a whole crushed nutmeg in the water for the priming sugar, and silly me I added some Splenda because I thought it would need some backsweetening. It is beginning to become drinkable now, but it would have been a lot better without the Splenda.
But experimentation is the name of the game, so give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

[quote=“ruralbrew”]There won’t be any sweetness from the cider after it ferments. Think dry white wine. Only minimal hops are required. These take a long time to come together, bulk aging for six months before bottling helps.
I made a six gallon batch last fall with three gallons of wort and three of cider. The wort was six pounds of Munich LME with a pound of C-60 and a pound of carapils steeped with some cinnamon and nutmeg in the boil. I racked to secondary with a pile of chopped apples to provide a little apple flavor because you get very little from the cider.
When I bottled I boiled some more cinnamon and a whole crushed nutmeg in the water for the priming sugar, and silly me I added some Splenda because I thought it would need some backsweetening. It is beginning to become drinkable now, but it would have been a lot better without the Splenda.
But experimentation is the name of the game, so give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.[/quote]

Mind my asking how many ounces of hops you used?

I did actually mess around with the hop schedule and do like this one more. I used the website I usually use for my recipes and it would only allow me to put the cider in at mash or steep. On top of that, it would only let me do 20 lbs 15oz. Total measurement is actually 26.4lbs of cider. Right now it says 25.4 ibus but I am planning on it being lower, probably 20 or high teens.

boil 60 min ½ German Magnum
Icon boil 20 min ½ German Hallertau
Icon boil 15 min ½ German Hallertau
Icon boil 15 min ½ Tettnang
Icon boil 2 min ½ Tettnang

The og that it is saying I should have is 1.111. Should I plan on hooking up a blow off hose? I have never had to use one as I tend to leave 2 gallons of head space in my primary. I have yet to have a beer even come close to the top of the bucket. Just want to see if I should use one or not.

So it has been awhile since posting anything on this recipe but I did end up brewing it quite some time ago. It has taken quite awhile to come together, like someone else posted here. It came out great though. Starts like a beer and finishes like a cider. Apparently the abv is a bit high though. I wasn’t expecting it but after talking to a friend of mine, he and I both think it is around or above 10%. You don’t even taste the alcohol in it either. Very happy with how it has come out and it continues to mature week to week. I had family try a bottle one week and then another a week or two later. They said it was still good but you could tell it is really starting to come together and get even better.