Apa

Want it simple, but a good backyard sipper for early summer. What do you all think?

93.5% 2-Row
6.5% Crystal 40
Falconers Flight 7 Seas bitter, flavor, & aroma
American 1056

OG: 1.056
IBU: 40

Other ideas for bittering since I have never used FF 7 seas?

That will work.

That is certainly simple but more often than not simple is good in my opinion. I just used Falconer’s Flight for the first time, waiting on the results but smells great!
I don’t buy 1056 anymore, instead I just use US-05. Cheaper and pretty much the same thing. Also has more in one pack than Wyeast packs.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]That is certainly simple but more often than not simple is good in my opinion. I just used Falconer’s Flight for the first time, waiting on the results but smells great!
I don’t buy 1056 anymore, instead I just use US-05. Cheaper and pretty much the same thing. Also has more in one pack than Wyeast packs.[/quote]

Pretty much but not quite IMO. I find 1056 just a tad cleaner, which is not to diss 05.

Thought about dropping OG down to 1.050? Summertime’s no fun when you’re passed out.

I agree that 1056 tastes cleaner than the dry US-05. I think the liquid yeast is cheaper if you use it 3 or 4 times like I do. I am not sure about re-using dry yeast.

I like lower gravity beers too so I can drink more. The only problem is they don’t stay in peak condition as long as a higher gravity. If you drink a keg fairly quickly it should not be a problem. I have so many styles around the house that I sometimes don’t finish a low gravity keg before it is past its prime.

That’s an interesting observation about the differences between the dry and liquid Chico strain. I pretty much came to the conclusion that the dry stuff did a creditable job and was easier and cheaper so I switched (and I had not used a dry yeast in more than a decade). I did not however do a side by side comparision. I guess at the end of the day though, I figure that a little yeast character is not a bad thing. I make quite a few lagers and I find after a while that I crave some yeast derived flavors in my beer; I get bored if all I have to drink are clean lagers. Does this mean that deep down inside I am really an “ale guy”?

IMO, 05 and 1056 are very close to each other…but I don’t find them to be the same. For a long time they tasted identical to me, but once I sat down and really tasted critically I could detect just a hint of fruitiness in the 05 that I didn’t find in 1056. I still use 05 and think it’s a fine yeast, but I usually go for 1056 if I have it around and have time to make a starter.

[quote=“mlsouth”]

Other ideas for bittering since I have never used FF 7 seas?[/quote]
I’d use something neutral like Magnum to bitter and dry hop with those hops instead. I’ve done that in an IPA and really liked it.

I do’ what I can american bitter with 7 c’s which is terrific. Basically an English bitter but the hops switched with american hops. It went over very will.

Seven Seas Bitter

Recipe specifics:

Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 28.9
Color (SRM): 9.6
ABV: 4.5%

Grain/Sugars:

8.25 lb Maris Otter Malt, 91.7%
0.50 lb Crystal 70-80L (British), 5.6%
0.25 lb Special Roast, 2.8%

Hops:

0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 60 min, 18.0 IBU
0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 20 min, 10.9 IBU
1.00 oz Falconer’s Flight Seven Seas (AA 9.9%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

S-04 English Ale Yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

I also keg hopped with 2oz 7c’s. What a great soon aroma with these as dry hops.

Looks pretty similar to one of mine. I use:

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb 40 crystal

I oz Cluster for 60
1 oz FF 7 C’s for 5
1 oz FF for 1

US05

Pretty yummo.

[quote=“BrewingRover”][quote=“mlsouth”]

Other ideas for bittering since I have never used FF 7 seas?[/quote]
I’d use something neutral like Magnum to bitter and dry hop with those hops instead. I’ve done that in an IPA and really liked it.[/quote]

+1. Magnums rock in American hop-forward beers. Warrior is similar for a bittering charge. It gets out of the way for the late hops really well.