APA Recipe I threw Together - Thoughts?

6.50 gal Chicago, IL Water
1.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
12.0 oz Victory Malt (28.0 SRM)
4 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] @ 60.0 min (23.7 IBUs)
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] @ 15.0 min (11.8 IBUs)
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] @ 5.0 min (8.1 IBUs)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Here is my hop inventory. I’d like to use what I have and see no reason I can’t come up with a good combo. Just never used either of those hops up top so I don’t know what to expect. Suggestions are welcome. I just would like to use and even number on the hops so I am not having to store an open package.

5oz Citra @ 13.5% AA
1oz FF 7 C’s @ 9.9% AA
1oz US Golding @ 5.5% AA
1oz Magnum @ 14.7% AA
1oz Mosaic @ 11.6% AA
1oz Northern Brewer @ 10.6% AA
1oz Simcoe @ 13.7% AA
1oz Sorachi Ace @ 10.5% AA

Maybe switch my bittering to 1oz Golding & use a full oz of Citra @ 15 mins?

Thanks All!
:cheers:

I used citra and mosaic together and for me it kinda of mashed together too much and created a real fruity beer. It’s OK, but not my thing.

1. I would bitter with the magnum @ 60 and do either 1/2 or full ounce. It really is no big deal to tape up the bag and put it in a ziplock in the freezer for another day.
  2. Another option, .50 @ 60 of magnum and .50 @30 of magnum.
  3. Drop the mosaic unless you really want a fruity / blueberry taste.
  4. IF you drop the mosaic, use the simcoe with the citra. .50 of each simcoe and citra @ 15 or 20 min and then .50 of them again @ 5 min.
  5. If you want maybe try dry hopping with the mosaic, I have not tried that yet and I’m sitting on 14 ounce of mosaic :slight_smile:

I am by no means an expert on all the flavors, but this is what I would try…good luck.

[quote=“GarretD”]I used citra and mosaic together and for me it kinda of mashed together too much and created a real fruity beer. It’s OK, but not my thing.

1. I would bitter with the magnum @ 60 and do either 1/2 or full ounce. It really is no big deal to tape up the bag and put it in a ziplock in the freezer for another day.
  2. Another option, .50 @ 60 of magnum and .50 @30 of magnum.
  3. Drop the mosaic unless you really want a fruity / blueberry taste.
  4. IF you drop the mosaic, use the simcoe with the citra. .50 of each simcoe and citra @ 15 or 20 min and then .50 of them again @ 5 min.
  5. If you want maybe try dry hopping with the mosaic, I have not tried that yet and I’m sitting on 14 ounce of mosaic :slight_smile:

I am by no means an expert on all the flavors, but this is what I would try…good luck.[/quote]

Great info, Thanks. I am already thinking I am going to change a bunch with that recipe. I usually change a recipe 4 or 5 times between initial idea & brew day. I think I am going to not use either of the original hops I mentioned, brew an APA, then after primary fermentation is over with that I will transfer it to a secondary & throw an all Citra IPA onto the yeast cake.

I like the idea of blueberry coming from the Mosaic but I have no idea where to use it! Maybe dry hop an American Wheat beer?

Citra is extremely aggressive. Sort of like Cascade on steroids, but much more than that, it smells and tastes like mango and pineapple. It’s a love/hate hop. I love it! Some don’t as it is too fruity for them.

I don’t get blueberry from Mosaic at all. Think of it as Simcoe on steroids. It’s got that strong catboxy, earthy, piney thing going on like Simcoe, or maybe Columbus. Mosaic is another love/hate hop. Mosaic is probably THE MOST AGGRESSIVE hop currently in existence. Personally, I don’t like it at all – what can I say, cat piss in a beer is just not my thing – but it’s probably okay in low amounts. Other people say they love it, but I think that’s because their tastebuds have all been burned off by all the Double IPAs they’ve been drinking, so they’re on a quest for something with even bolder flavor so they can taste it. This is bold, alright.

I would back off on the Victory malt, maybe 8 oz max. I would back off on the Mosaic hops, maybe 1/2 oz max for any late additions. If you must use a whole ounce, sub the rest in for bittering. Citra… add as much as you think you’ll like. If you like fruit, you’ll love this hop in any amount. One ounce, 2 or 3 ounces… it’s all good, IF you like tropical fruit.

Thanks again. I plan on changing the recipe up a little. I will def. drop some of the Victory steep grains. Probably going to try something with the Goldings & Northern Brewer hops for the APA and save my citrus for the IPA.

I think the recipe may benefit from a lower (20=40) lovibond crystal malt- maybe 1/2 lbs. just to balance some of the bitterness you may want in your APA.

Specifically crystal malt or just a higher lovibond grain? The Victory malt is at 28L. I have some spare crystal 10L & some spare crystal 40L. So I could do like 0.6lb total of a Victory & 40L mix. I have only used the Victory once and it was mixed with other grain (specifically 40L & Pale Chocolate 200L) but I like the malt character that combo added. I don’t want too much malt but I def want it in there.

Thanks for the input.

6.50 gal Chicago, IL Water
1.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
5.3 oz Victory Malt (28.0 SRM)
5.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
5.5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.5 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Northern Brewer [10.60 %] @ 60.0 min (~33 IBUs)
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz U.S. Golding [5.50 %] @ 15.0 min (~6 IBUs)
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz U.S. Golding [5.50 %] @ 5.0 min (~2 IBUs)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Here is the final(ish?) recipe I am brewing Saturday morning. My biggest concern with this recipe is it having enough hop aroma for an APA. Thoughts?

American IPA standards…

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

[quote=“GarretD”]American IPA standards…

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%[/quote]

But American Pale Ale (APA) Standards…
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.056
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 4 – 11 ABV: 4.5 – 5.7%

ah…dah…apa…sorry…I’m stuck in IPA world…

Be sure to do a mini-mash with the Munich and Victory. If it was my beer, and I had your hops, I would bitter with Magnum, Simcoe at 10-min, and finish with Citra. :wink:

Lawyered! Haha, I figured as much.

I want to use up some of the hops I have so I am brewing an IPA that I will just throw onto the yeast cake once primary fermentation is done on the APA. That one will be bittered with the Magnum, use almost all of if not all of the Citra & probably Either the Simcoe or Mosaic as well. I am hoping the APA ends up a little more “spicy/earthy” than citrus-y floral.

With that small amount of Munich & Victory, 30-40 mins held around 150F should do the trick, right? It is barely over half of a pound.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]With that small amount of Munich & Victory, 30-40 mins held around 150F should do the trick, right? It is barely over half of a pound.[/quote]Yep - stir the grain bag every now and then to help keep the enzymes in contact too (Munich will convert but it might need a little help at 50% of grist).