APA or IPA Suggestion

I’ve never been a regular drinker of IPA’s, but lately I have had a few that taste better than I remember. I suppose my tastes are continuing to develop. Anyhow have had Two Hearted, Founders Centennial and Founders All Day IPA and liked them.

Now I want to brew something similar, but not as hoppy. I really don’t what a lot of grapefruit taste. So here’s my question, am I looking for an APA? Or do I take a recipe similar to the beers I’ve tryed and “lighten” up on the later hops additions?

Is there a NB all grain kit that is what I’m looking for? Usually I can decide on something a go for it, but I’m stuck on this one, help and suggestions please.

Sounds like you’re shooting for an APA, they’re generally a little less hoppy than IPAs. Do you like Sierra Nevada’s Pale ale? There’s a great recipe in this lengthy thread
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15532&hilit=snpa
, it’s in the first couple pages.

NB’s Sierra Madre
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/all-grain-kits/all-grain-ale-kits/sierra-madre-pale-ale-all-grain-kit.html
might fit your tastes too.

I’m enjoying NB’s ExtraPA kit these days. I DHed it with an oz of cascade and absolutely love it.

[quote=“Buzzbeer”]I’ve never been a regular drinker of IPA’s, but lately I have had a few that taste better than I remember. I suppose my tastes are continuing to develop. Anyhow have had Two Hearted, Founders Centennial and Founders All Day IPA and liked them.

Now I want to brew something similar, but not as hoppy. I really don’t what a lot of grapefruit taste. So here’s my question, am I looking for an APA? Or do I take a recipe similar to the beers I’ve tryed and “lighten” up on the later hops additions?

Is there a NB all grain kit that is what I’m looking for? Usually I can decide on something a go for it, but I’m stuck on this one, help and suggestions please.[/quote]
NB’s Dead Ringer is a clone recipe for Two-Hearted.

[quote=“Buzzbeer”]

Now I want to brew something similar, but not as hoppy. I really don’t what a lot of grapefruit taste. So here’s my question, am I looking for an APA? Or do I take a recipe similar to the beers I’ve tryed and “lighten” up on the later hops additions?[/quote]

If you don’t want grapefruit avoid cascades. There are other citrusy hops out there that aren’t grapefruity. I recently made an amber with saphir, summit, and simcoe that was pretty good.

Well, during the time I couldn’t get back on the site I see that people responded to this post. First off, thank you for the ideas. I took a shot at sort of an APA recipe today, never made one so here goes.

10.5 lb 2 row,
1 lb crystal 40
6 oz of carapils

Magnum .5 oz 60 min
Columbus .2 oz 60 min
Centennial .3 oz 20 min
Columbus .4 oz 10 min
Centennial .3 oz 10 min
Columbus .4 oz 5 min
Centennial .3 oz 5 min

US05

Came in at OG of 1.056 and its in the fermenter, so we’ll see what it comes out like.

Looks good. I bet it will taste great.