Anyone Use Smart Strips

Anyone use the Micro Matic Smart Strips on their kegs? I guess if there is a down side to kegging, not knowing for sure what you have left in your keg would be it. I have always thought about buying a couple of them to try but I never have got around to it. Now that I’m brewing again I’m getting my kegs ready and I thought about ordering a couple of them to try but I see where our host is out of them.

Cheers,
Jazzman

I believe Micromatic no longer makes these. I tried finding some a while back and couldn’t.

weight it, look at the moisture level when you pull it out, those are a couple ways

I haven’t used the smart strips but as the poster above said, if I want to know how much is in the keg I just take it out of the keggerator and in a few minutes there will be condensation where the cold beer is. Simple and Cheap.

I just tap on the side of the keg with a wrench, it makes a slightly different noise where the beer is. Is is not an exact measurement but close.

This is probably the simplest method. The problem with removing the keg to weigh or check condensation is the high likelihood of liberating sediments that have settled to the bottom of the keg and clouding the remaining beer.

This is probably the simplest method. The problem with removing the keg to weigh or check condensation is the high likelihood of liberating sediments that have settled to the bottom of the keg and clouding the remaining beer.[/quote]

You don’t move the keg for condensation just turn your fridge off and keep the door open for a few minutes and your done.
Even if you move you should not have any sediment issues or you racked to much trub to keg

This is probably the simplest method. The problem with removing the keg to weigh or check condensation is the high likelihood of liberating sediments that have settled to the bottom of the keg and clouding the remaining beer.[/quote]

You don’t move the keg for condensation just turn your fridge off and keep the door open for a few minutes and your done.
Even if you move you should not have any sediment issues or you racked to much trub to keg[/quote]

Gotcha. :cheers: Though I generally cold condition in a second carboy before kegging, and there’s always just a bit of leftover yeast and protein sediment in the bottom of my kegs. I suppose if one was careful moving the keg the sediment would stay in place though…