Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Anyone tried Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast?

Mixed results on other forums but the consensus is lag time is longer, it’s clean, and it attenuates lower. May be Pacman yeast someone said. Great that we have another dry option. Between US05, BRY97, and this Mangrove Jack M44 west coast ale yeast, we’re bound to find something we like

I gave M44 a shot on a series of ales when it first released and my impression was that it was an okay yeast. At the end of the day, I didn’t see a compelling reason to dig into this yeast and really learn it–why pursue ‘okay’ when there’s an abundance of great strains out there? As you note, it lags, it’s slow, nor did it clear any quicker than the Chico strains. Basically, it didn’t do anything better than -05, so I saw no real point in really learning the strain.

Is it Pacman? Emphatically, no. Pacman is one of my two year-round house strains. I know that strain very well and M44 is more of an opposite of Pacman than a clone. Pacman doesn’t lag, it clears quickly, and it will happily devour a wort in the low 60s. In my limited experience, M44 doesn’t do any of those things.

[quote=“Cangrejo”]I gave M44 a shot on a series of ales when it first released and my impression was that it was an okay yeast. At the end of the day, I didn’t see a compelling reason to dig into this yeast and really learn it–why pursue ‘okay’ when there’s an abundance of great strains out there? As you note, it lags, it’s slow, nor did it clear any quicker than the Chico strains. Basically, it didn’t do anything better than -05, so I saw no real point in really learning the strain.[/quote]I could not have said it any better myself. I agree 100%

I just used M-44 for the first time, for an IPA. I also experienced the long lag time (48 hrs after rehydrated, pitched at 64F) and high attenuation (78%), and at 65F ramped midway to 66F a full 2 weeks to ferment dry.

What I especially liked was that when I racked to kegs, there was better flocculation than US-05, leaving more yeast behind in the fermenter. The jury is still out as to whether it is as clean or cleaner tasting than US-05, and therefore equally or more hop-focused in taste for hoppy beers.

It will be at least one to two more weeks before I tap the beer, so I’ll follow up later with sensory notes.

Based on what you’re saying, maybe it isn’t as special as I’d hoped.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com