Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Anyone know how to determine calories in home brew?

Does anyone know how to determine the calories in a home brew? I started a new excercise/diet regime and need to know how many calories I am consuming in my home brew. Right now I am having to stick to coors light as I know it is 136 calories per 16 ounces.

Handy Dandy Chart Courtesy Of Zymurgy

[attachment=0]image2850.jpg[/attachment]

Fantastic Greg.
Interesting, I would have thought home brew had more calories. According to the chart my Pliny the elder clone has less calories that a Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

Thanks

Brewtarget calculates calories.

My iBrewmaster shows calories for the recipes given. Dunno on one you create as I’ve not played with it to that extent yet.

I apply logical rules of thumb for determining how many calories per 12 ounces.

Rule #1: It doesn’t matter how many calories. Get over it. If that doesn’t work for you, then…

Rule #2: A normal strength all-malt beer has about 200 calories. A lower strength beer has more like 150. And a heavy beer like a doppelbock or Scotch ale, etc. has about 250.

And you’re done. :cheers:

Most, if not all brewing software calculates calories.

As you can see from the chart, and DM’s summary, calories in the finished beer are primarily due to OG, with a minor contribution by FG. If you want to make lower calorie beers, you should learn to make low OG beers like Ordinary Bitter, Stout, or American Session Ales.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I apply logical rules of thumb for determining how many calories per 12 ounces.
Rule #1: It doesn’t matter how many calories. Get over it. If that doesn’t work for you, then…
Rule #2: A normal strength all-malt beer has about 200 calories. A lower strength beer has more like 150. And a heavy beer like a doppelbock or Scotch ale, etc. has about 250.
And you’re done. :cheers: [/quote]

I agree with both of Dave’s rules here, and would just add one line to Rule #2:
Just drink a bit less of whatever beer you really like.

I think If I really needed a pint of something, I’d probably just reach for a seltzer instead (perhaps with a dash or two of Angostura Bitters), but that’s just me. :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com