Anyone going to try to buy Westy next week?

Details are finally out, at least for Chicagoland:

http://www.binnys.com/blog/?p=2817

I don’t plan to queue up, but I imagine there will be a ton of people there.

It is a lot cheaper than a plane ride to Belgium. I noticed the bottles have a silk screened label. Hopefully this is the same beer you get in Belgium. I would try to get some if it is available in Texas. I ordered it from Belgian shop a couple of times when it was only $20 per bottle. The beer was always fantastic if you like this style.

I’m sorry…no 6 pack of beer is worth that kind of cash too me. If someone would like to buy this and send me one to prove it is I would be will to accept the package :slight_smile:

I have to agree. I love the tradition behind Westy but in the end its main appeal seems to be the mystique of rarity. I don’t doubt that it’s a good (or even great) brew, but a number of folks whose opinion I respect and trust maintain that the readily available, very tasty, and less pricey St. Bernardus Abt 12 is pretty much the same brew…without the hype.

If i can get someone to go in with me and get a bottle or two, I’ll do it. I definitely don’t need 6.

Last weekend me and some buds drank (over two nights) a Westvleteren 12, St Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Kaiser Blaw Grand Cru of the Emperor, and a homebrewed quad I made. Other than the homebrew, all were about equal in “quality” although slightly different. I thought the Bernardus was the best of the bunch.

I’ve been really getting into wine lately. How about I save $50 by getting a $25 bottle of wine and a Rochefort 10?

I’m not really even a fan of Beligan Quads/Dark Strong.

How much do you think the monastery gets per gift box?

I have to agree. I love the tradition behind Westy but in the end its main appeal seems to be the mystique of rarity. I don’t doubt that it’s a good (or even great) brew, but a number of folks whose opinion I respect and trust maintain that the readily available, very tasty, and less pricey St. Bernardus Abt 12 is pretty much the same brew…without the hype.[/quote]

That is exactly right. Spot on. But this is most likely the ONLY time you will see it in the states. Picked up mine this morning (no line, it was sweet). Crossing it off the bucket list.

By the way, retailers are not allowed to split up a 6 pack or charge more than $85.

I had a taste at our club’s Christmas party last weekend. It was brought over by a member who went to Belgium this fall. It is fabulous stuff. It is definitely different than St Bernardus 12, although I like that one a lot too. I have had it several times, and it is definitely tops in the Belgian Strong Dark catagory. It probably would not score well at a BJCP event though because it is too bitter for the category when it is young. I am bummed we are not getting any of this in Texas.