Anyone freeze yeast?

I was thinking of investing some money in equipment to freeze yeast to keep it for longer periods of time but have a few questions about it. I want to start doing this because there are certain yeast strains I would like to save but really wouldn’t use very often (Kolsh, any Belgian strain and lager yeast being some of these) which makes me think they may go bad just washing them and keeping them in the fridge without any plans to use them within the year.

I’ve read up about the process but am still wonder a few things:

1.) Does yeast last indefinitely when frozen?
2.) How do you determine your starter size? I use Mr. Malty for my washed yeast but with a frozen vial that is a year old how do you determine the viability. Does it deteriorate over time as well?
3.) Is it worth it? I’m pretty cheap here and always looking to cut corners. Plus I like the added work and the personalized touch of stuff like this but if it is more work than it’s worth I might just back off.

I keep a few frozen banks of several of the strains that are not available year round. Its a little extra work, but I feel its worth it for these strains. I just keep washed yeast in the fridge for everything else.
Your not going to loose much viability per month when frozen. Maybe a few percent at best.
I step mine from 250ml to 1000ml starting with approx. 10B cells. Then pitch into the appropriate size starter for the batch I’m brewing.

Edit: Corrected spelling.

here’s a decent guide to freezing yeast. Glycerin USP is the same stuff that you can get at the pharmacy

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Yeast_bank

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I keep a few froxen banks of several of the strains that are not availbale year round. Its a little extra work, but I feel its worth it for these strains. I just keep washed yeast in the fridge for everything else.
Your not going to loose much viability per month when frozen. Maybe a few percent at best.
I step mine from 250ml to 1000ml starting with approx. 10B cells. Then pitch into the appropriate size starter for the batch I’m brewing.

Edit: Corrected spelling.[/quote]

+1 to Baratone I even freeze my main yeast 1056. I don’t buy much yeast anymore.

no not worht my time, I will go buy another 5 dollar smack pack.
Or make sure I brew a few batches of using a limited release to last