Anyone brewed the Plinian Legacy 1 gallon version?

Just curious what people have used for fermentation times/bottle conditioning times?

I have no brewed this beer I thought I’d jump in sense nobody has replied yet - however you could follow some basic timelines:

Time is your friend - rushing beers out of the primary can lead to bottle bombs or immature beer being bottled. The yeast are doing a lot of work in there even after primary fermentation seems to be complete.

I typically do a 4 week minimum in primary and I rarely put my beers in secondary - with a 1 gallon recipe I don’t see what secondary would even be an option, quick turn around is the point!
-If you don’t mind being in a bit of a rush, I would say once you’re beer has a sheen surface, bottle it.

~two weeks bottling conditioning. I don’t think I’ve had beers carbonate much faster than that. However, I just used the fizz drops for the first time last weekend so I don’t know if they could be faster.

This beer is a big, hoppy beer, again time will be your friend after bottling. with a 1 gallon kit you’ll get about 7-10 bottles from your beer so it will get used up quick. I suggest putting two aside for short-term storage -maybe 2-3 months and enjoy those when the flavors mature. The hop and malt characteristic will certainly change.

Good luck! Let us know how it comes out! Post brew reviews are always helpful for us extract guys so we know what to buy!

It has been two weeks and there is still active fermentation…this sucker may take 4 weeks…which i’m ok with :slight_smile: Thanks for the info!!!

It shouldn’t take 2 weeks for 1gal beer to completely ferment. Where are you keeping the fermenter? What’s the temp? Does the temp fluctuate?
Likely what you are seeing is off gasing of CO2 as the weather changes.

It is in a closet, and the temp never strays from 68.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]It shouldn’t take 2 weeks for 1gal beer to completely ferment. Where are you keeping the fermenter? What’s the temp? Does the temp fluctuate?
Likely what you are seeing is off gasing of CO2 as the weather changes.[/quote]

I’ve had big beers take a few weeks in 1 gal batches. I did an IIPA that took about 4 weeks to be done (3 weeks or so active fermentation, then another week to clean up/finish).

I don’t think it’s that unusual.

[quote=“stonecutter2”][quote=“Loopie Beer”]It shouldn’t take 2 weeks for 1gal beer to completely ferment. Where are you keeping the fermenter? What’s the temp? Does the temp fluctuate?
Likely what you are seeing is off gasing of CO2 as the weather changes.[/quote]

I’ve had big beers take a few weeks in 1 gal batches. I did an IIPA that took about 4 weeks to be done (3 weeks or so active fermentation, then another week to clean up/finish).

I don’t think it’s that unusual.[/quote]
Then you are fermenting really cool and/or SEVERELY under pitching. I do 10gal batches, as high as 1.100 not take 3 weeks. Likely its the last line of my previous statement.

Primary for 3 weeks…bottled for 3 weeks…not carbonating…going to give it another few weeks. Buddy of mine had the same problem with the 5 gallon batch…maybe pitch again before bottling next time?

At what temp are they carbing? If its below 65° try moving them somewhere warmer and flipping the bottles daily for the next week and see. Its possible the yeast was stressed and dead.
Since this was a 1gal batch I assume you used the carb drops?

yes on the carb drops…i had them in 65 degrees for a week, and 70 degrees for 2 weeks. I’ll give them a flipping and let them be for another few weeks.

Keep them at 70° and flip them daily. Sometimes higher OG beers take time to carb up. The yeast can be a little tired after such a big party.