Anyone Brewed a Huckleberry stout before?

I am planning on picking fresh huckleberries in about 3 weeks when they are on for picking near my home. I am thinking to freeze about 2lbs and then utilize in an Irish Stout modification I am planning. Question is whether to add in wort boil, primary, secondary or half in wort boil and half in secondary? Anybody have any ideas?

I have not used huckleberries, but I have made a black raspberry porter and a raspberry wheat. I would not add the berries to your boil, as you may get too much pectin out of the fruit that way, and get beer jelly. You can add the fruit to your fermentor and then pour the hot wort on top to pasteurize it, or let the beer ferment for a week or 10 days and then add the fruit (freezing it will help break down cell walls and make the juice more available). 2 lbs/5 gallons may not be a lot in a roasty beer like a stout, I usually add 5lbs of raspberries to my porter (5 gallons), but you can try it and adjust the amount of fruit the next time if you want. I add my frozen/thawed berries after primary fermentation is starting to slow down and have never had any trouble with infections. Either put the berries in a sanitized paint strainer bag or tie a sanitized hop bag around the end of your racking cane to avoid clogging your siphon with berry residues when you bottle or keg.

Thank you! That makes me feel better about not boiling in the wort. I was worried about losing some flavor by boiling. I will try the half at fermenting and half in secondary. Thanks again!