Anyone brew the new RyePA extract kit?

Should be ready a heck of a lot sooner than that! The last one I brewed was on 9/16 and it’s been kegged for nearly 2 weeks.[/quote]

Quite right! I suspect with bottle conditioning, it should be ready just after Thanksgiving…
I must have been drinking when I typed that… :mrgreen:

Christmas will be my first chance to share my beers with my family…that’s right! That’s what I was thinking… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m brewing the Rye stout tonight! Had to get on the Rye LME bandwagon while it’s still new! Exciting breakthrough and since it’s been graced by Denny, how can you go wrong?

I brewed a slightly revised version of Denny’s extract kit in late Sept. I dry hopped last weekend and plan to bottle it this weekend. Everything has gone great so far and I am very excited for this beer. This was my first brew using Denny’s 1450 and it worked great, so I also used in for an AG pumpkin ale I did earlier this month.

Here is my revised take on the wry smile: http://hopville.com/recipe/895312/ameri … es/rye-ipa

I just wanted to share that I have this kit in the primary right now and used a 1500ml starter with the wyeast 1056. I got a OG of 1.061.

Anyone else who made the Rye PA extract get similiar OG?

MaSheriff

[quote=“MaSheriff”]I just wanted to share that I have this kit in the primary right now and used a 1500ml starter with the wyeast 1056. I got a OG of 1.061.

Anyone else who made the Rye PA extract get similiar OG?

MaSheriff[/quote]

Are you doing the Wry Smile or the NB RyePA? There are two different kits.

OG for the Wry Smile should be closer to 1.078.

The difference is that the Wry Smile uses Rye liquid extract and the other uses Rye in the steeping grains.

Which did you brew?

I am brewing the Rye PA, the kit sheet said the OG should be 1.065.

MaSheriff

I have the Wry Smile finishing up and wondering what FG I should expect? This is the extract version of Denny’s recipe and my OG was 1.077. It has been in primary for 3 + weeks. It was a little slow to start, even with a big starter and seemed to stop fermentation after a couple weeks. After sitting quiet at about 70* (main fermentation was at low 60’s) it has started bubbling again. However, the SG has remained steady at 1.020. Is it done?

There is no sign of infections. Should I expect this to go lower?

1.020 is right in line with what NB and I got on the test batches.

Thanks Denny,

The sample tasted pretty darn good, so I am anxious to get it to the next step!

I took a gravity reading and got 1.018. I am dry hopping with the palisade hops and going to bottle in 5 days.

MaSheriff

I am not sure what is going on with my Wry Smile extract version. It was still bubbling periodically after 3 weeks primary but the gravity was about where it should be and stayed steady. So I transferred to secondary because I wanted to reuse the yeast. Now it is bubbling away in the secondary and has a nice foam ring. If I swirl the carboy, it looks like the beer is fully carbonated some many bubbles come up.

I had a similar thing happen with an oatmeal stout that took forever to settle down, but turned out delicious, so I am just going to be patient. The benefit of a pipeline.

That’s just CO2 that is dissolved, leaving solution. Once the gravity is steady, I leave my beer for about 4 days for the yeast to clean up, then I think about bottling. Bubbles don’t mean fermentation; gravity change means fermentation.

That’s just CO2 that is dissolved, leaving solution. Once the gravity is steady, I leave my beer for about 4 days for the yeast to clean up, then I think about bottling. Bubbles don’t mean fermentation; gravity change means fermentation.[/quote]

It is strange, it is happening to both beers that are in secondary. If I swirl them, they foam up and almost come out the airlock. I had an Oatmeal stout do this once and it took forever for the foam to totally disappear.

It sure seems like the C02 would have come out of solution by now. It is strange.

[quote=“560sdl”]It is strange, it is happening to both beers that are in secondary. If I swirl them, they foam up and almost come out the airlock. I had an Oatmeal stout do this once and it took forever for the foam to totally disappear.

It sure seems like the C02 would have come out of solution by now. It is strange.[/quote]

Not strange at all if they’re warming up. CO2 is more soluble at cold temps. If the beer warms, CO2 is released.

They have been at about 70 degrees for about two weeks. The last week of primary and one week of secondary.

Seriously, when I swirl, it looks life a fully carbonated beer…in a carboy. Pretty sure there is no infection or anything though. I will give it a taste tonight. I might just cold crash.

If you started primary cooler, it might very well just be dissolved CO2.

I fermented about 60-62. But I would have thought any dissolved Co2 would have escaped though the airlock by now. I am just curious because this happened on the stout I mentioned.

Nope, there’s still a lot of CO2 dissolved in the beer. You’ve kinda proven that to yourself!

Nope, there’s still a lot of CO2 dissolved in the beer. You’ve kinda proven that to yourself![/quote]

I guess I am a slow learner! :oops:

I know this is an old post, but I’m brewing the RyePA Extract Kit soon and it’s my first kit brew (5th batch total). I’ve been doing full boils for all my batches so far, with really good results, so when I see in the instructions with the kit to only do a 2.5 gal boil, I’m a little hesitant. Has anyone brewed this kit as a full-boil? Or, should I just follow this thing line-by-line? (also thinking of adding in some Cascade to end of boil like some others mentioned)>

Thanks for the tips.