Anyone brew the new RyePA extract kit?

Just wondering if anyone has a review on the new liquid rye. Comparable micros?

Masheriff

I’ve brewed the Wry Smile kit twice now. It’s on tap at the moment, AAMOF. Very much like the AG version I think the rye extract is great.

Masheriff,
I brewed the American Rye Ale on 9-23-11 to celebrate 2.5 years of being cancer free. The OG was 1.042, and it finished at 1.011, I kegged it on 10-08-11. I sampled it last sunday and I was disappointed. It didn’t have any head and the flavor was very bland. I have never had a rye beer before so I don’t really know what to expect. I going to try it again this sat., I hope it is better this weekend then what is was last weekend.

Cheers!
jazzman

Thanks Denny for letting us know. I’m really interested in trying this but I am only brewing Extract right now. Can’t wait to try it.

I am pretty excited to make this brew. I tried bear republics hop rod rye and I hope it has a similiar taste. I would have purchased the wry smile, but that one was a bit pricey.

Masheriff

I brewed it the extract version on Sunday. I too am pretty excited to have it finish and be ready.

Got the kit today! I opened the package containing the wyeast 1056 and it was party inflated. This is my first inflated pack. Correct me if I am wrong, I put it in the fridge and I will make a 1500 ml starter and pitch it to that? I have made starters before from packs that did not inflate after 2 days.

MaSheriff

[quote=“MaSheriff”]Got the kit today! I opened the package containing the wyeast 1056 and it was party inflated. This is my first inflated pack. Correct me if I am wrong, I put it in the fridge and I will make a 1500 ml starter and pitch it to that? I have made starters before from packs that did not inflate after 2 days.

MaSheriff[/quote]

You did not want to use the recommended Denny’s Favorite 50 (1450)?

It’s not the wry smile kit, its the RyePA kit the 1056 was the liquid yeast recommended.

Don’t worry about the swelled pack, I have gotten 2 that were swelled. I made starters and had great results and am now using them in their second generation. I also checked the Wyeast website and they say it is not a problem.

The Wry Smile kit has been fermenting for one week…should be ready for Christmas… :cheers:

Should be ready a heck of a lot sooner than that! The last one I brewed was on 9/16 and it’s been kegged for nearly 2 weeks.

Glad to hear the rye extract is a good product. The choices in LME are fantastic these days.

+1 to denny

IPA’s are better younger IMHO. you don’t want those hops to fade

I’m pretty excited to try this kit. If I’m looking to bottle instead of keg, what sort of fermentation schedule should I follow? (Will look to keep temp in the mid 60’s).

Should I just make it easy and follow the kit instructions to the letter? Would a 3-4 week primary with dryhop in primary be sufficient? or should this one be dryhopped in secondary?

Also, this will be my first time using the first wort hop method…instructions say to heat water and then add hops, but what general temperature should I be shooting for?

If I’m using the WY1450 should a 1L starter be sufficient?

Lastly, I guess this question may not be wry smile specific, but I’ve been using hop bags for all of my brews…will I limit my hop utilization if I use them in the boil and/or dryhop?

Thanks!

[quote=“gobluedc”]I’m pretty excited to try this kit. If I’m looking to bottle instead of keg, what sort of fermentation schedule should I follow? (Will look to keep temp in the mid 60’s).

Should I just make it easy and follow the kit instructions to the letter? Would a 3-4 week primary with dryhop in primary be sufficient? or should this one be dryhopped in secondary?

Also, this will be my first time using the first wort hop method…instructions say to heat water and then add hops, but what general temperature should I be shooting for?

If I’m using the WY1450 should a 1L starter be sufficient?

Lastly, I guess this question may not be wry smile specific, but I’ve been using hop bags for all of my brews…will I limit my hop utilization if I use them in the boil and/or dryhop?

Thanks![/quote]

I think 3-4 weeks in primary and then dry hopping would be fine, but pay attention to what the beer’s telling you, not the calendar!

Add some extract or specialty grains before adding the FWH. Try to hold around 150F for maybe 20 min. or so.

I’d recommend a 2-3L starter.

Hop bags will reduce your utilization slightly in the kettle, not at all really for dry hopping.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m relatively new to brewing, so unfortunately I’m not very good at understanding what the beer is telling me. I’ll take hydro readings, but I’m never really sure what to look for in terms of tasting the sample…so I’ll usually just try to make sure that I ferment for at least 3 weeks to be safe. Hopefully I’ll learn eventually.

My typical steeping process has been…heat water to 160F, add specialty grains and let steep for 30 minutes.

So with this kit, it sounds like I should pretty much do the same…heat water to 160F, add specialty grains…maybe let steep for a few minutes and then add first wort hops? Then remove specialty grains when they’ve accumulated a total of 20 +/- minutes steeping in the 160F range? Just wasn’t sure when to add the hops.

Thanks!

Sounds like you’ve got the right idea! The exact time for the steeping grain and FWH isn’t too big a deal…anywhere from 20 min. on is OK.

Most of the kits I have been brewing calls for heating water to 155 deg. Then steeping for 25 mins.

I brewed the RyePA a while ago and it was amazing! My buddies and I decided its the best beer I’ve brewed thus far. I’ve got Denny’s Wry Smile fermenting right now. Really looking forward to it.