Anyone attempt Graff?

After I recently had a carboy open up I was thinking about giving the Graff a go since I love apple cider.

Has anyone given it a try yet after watching the last BTV episode?

Yep I have made them for a couple years now. Pretty good stuff. I just use off the shelf juice.

I’m sitting at two weeks in the primary for the Gunslinger’s Graff from that recipe. Tasted it last night and it was kinda weird, kinda good. Not sure what to think. I’m sure this one will take a bit of time to grow into itself.

On a side note, I posted about this on a different forum and someone chimed in who was the brewer who sent those bottles to Chip. They said the recipe is pretty hoppy upfront, which they liked but not everyone will, and that those bottles they drank on the show were a year old and pretty different from what it tastes like initially. I say go for it, I just bought stuff from the grocery store and ran with it because I was a big Stephen King nerd.

yea I think I am going to try it. Especially since it is in season I am going to try and find a fresh batch of cider.

I don’t think I will do a graff this year, but next year I want to do a sour graff using sour wort and finished with Brett. I may add cherry concentrate as well. Sort of like a Flanders/Cider combo.

That sounds pretty interesting. Is this something you’ve thought a lot about or just an idea floating around.?

That sounds pretty interesting. Is this something you’ve thought a lot about or just an idea floating around.?[/quote]

It’s an idea I’ve been kicking around for a little while now, but it’s still pretty nebulous at this point. Once my cider from this year is ready, I’ll probably do some test blends with some Rodenbach to see if it even works or if it’s nasty. I’m doing a dry-hopped cider, and that was another idea I had for the graff, so that will be interesting to see.

How long do you guys let it in the primary?

Brandon O’s directions only let it in for 2 weeks, then 3 in the bottles