Any Woodbury, MN Homebrewers Out There?

I recently moved to Woodbury from Maplewood, Minnesota. I was curious if anyone has a water report for the city of Woodbury? I know I could get a more accurate water report from Ward Labs but wanted to try the forum first.

Cheers!

The pdf on their website does not list the things needed for brewing. Contact them some cities are easy to get reports from some are dicks and just blow you off.
Best bet is ward labs, I have used them 4 or 5 times now for different areas and always get the results back in a few days.
I find everything I have tested in MN is pretty damn hard and brewers I have talked to, with the exception of St paul, Minneapolis, Bloomington. I am sure some other surrounding suburbs but most brewers I have talked to around the areas all have pretty hard water.

http://www.ci.woodbury.mn.us/public-works-contacts

Yep, I’m up in Blaine and have hard water too, I have to dilute my tap water with varying amounts of RO water to get my mash pH to come out in the correct range. Try looking on the city website and see if you can find the closest person to water utilities. I found the the utilities manager on the Blaine city website and shot him an email explaining what I was looking for and why. He got back to me with a water report for all of the city’s 16 wells. :cheers:

I dont even mess with my hard water unless certain style work with it. My bicarbonate is so high that diluting it down strips all the other things way to low and then have to add salts back, so I might as well just use RO or distilled water and add salts.
I usually make a trip and get my water from some of the soft water areas I know so I dont have to buy water or make salt additions (or very minor salt additions)

Guess that is an option, for most beers I need to use about 60% RO to get the bicarbonate down to an appropriate level which does mean I have to add salts to the water in order to get the minerals to work out. I use all RO but using a bit of tap water saves me from having to lug another 5 gallons of RO water. Two 5 gallon jugs already take up enough space my cart during the grocery shopping trip.

Yeah it depends how much you brew I suppose. I only brew 5g so I am only usually using 8-10 g of water. If I have to cut my tap water it is usually by 60-75% so I am not using much tap water, it was just more of a pain.
I just use water from mnpls area now and rarely do anyting to it

Usually doing 10 gallons at a time (2 - 5 gallon batches or 1 - 10 gallon batch) so I use a 10 gallons of RO water each time. Guess I could run to a friend’s house in Minneapolis but its easier to pay $4 for 10 gallons of RO water at Cub.

I dont buy because it takes me just as long to run to Cub and buy water as it does to run to a friends house get water, and I am not paying anything and I dont have to deal with all the people at cub and I get to sit and have a beer and visit.

Thanks for the link Grainbelt! I emailed someone through the public works directory. Time to wait and see what kind of information I recieve.

Sodium and sulfate is the only thing listed on there pdf download, so your missing a lot of other stuff

post your finding here if they contact you. I have been trying to gather a bunch of MN reports.

Like I said some are dicks about it and some get back to you with everything you ask for. (i have found more of them to be pains in the ass than give away information that you should have)

I suppose if you keep bugging them someone will do it but thats not worth my time. Ward labs is great.

Here is the information I received from someone from public works for the city of Woodbury:

Calcium in ppm- 62.5

Magnesium in ppm- 23.3

Alkalinity as CaCO3- 202

Chloride in ppm- 10.6

Sodium in ppm- 2.7

Sulfate in ppm- 21.5

pH- 7.7

He also gave me this link to the previous drinking water report: http://www.ci.woodbury.mn.us/environmen … ter-report

Now I just need to refer to Palmer’s “How to Brew” book to understand my water composition.

[quote=“Shenanigans”]Here is the information I received from someone from public works for the city of Woodbury:

Calcium in ppm- 62.5

Magnesium in ppm- 23.3

Alkalinity as CaCO3- 202

Chloride in ppm- 10.6

Sodium in ppm- 2.7

Sulfate in ppm- 21.5

pH- 7.7

He also gave me this link to the previous drinking water report: http://www.ci.woodbury.mn.us/environmen … ter-report

Now I just need to refer to Palmer’s “How to Brew” book to understand my water composition.[/quote]

thats not horrible water. Kind of surprised by it for MN
Check out Bruins water report or EZ water calcuator
That link you posted is what I found to, doesnt help for brewing needs.

i am monitoring water of Woodbury last 5 years ago.and the water report is fine As required by the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, the City of Woodbury is issuing the results of monitoring done on its drinking water for the period from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2013. The purpose of this report is to advance consumers’ understanding of drinking water and heighten awareness of the need to protect precious water resources. and if you want more info about to water. then check this link

[b]http://www.ci.woodbury.mn.us

[/b]

Maplewood MN Locksmith