Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Any tips for storing grains?

Can anyone share some tips or suggestions with storing grains? Are mason jars ok for storing specialty grains? Is vacuum sealing better idea? Got a Vittles Vault 50 for the sack of 2 row. Any thoughts or things you’ve learned would be great!

1 Like

I use 1gallon zip lock bags for specialty grains. Grain is fairly stable until you crush. Im assuming you are talking uncrushed

Correct uncrushed

I have 6 "Tupperware " if you will, that hold about a gallon and a half… They’ve got the end you open and pour through… I wonder if it something made to store breakfast cereal… Works plenty good… Sneezles61

3 Likes

Last year I started to store my base grain in one of those large vacuum storage bags intended for clothes and such. I used the last of a 25kg sack a couple of weeks ago and I can definitely say that, after a whole year, the grain smelled and tasted fresher than previous years when I just stored it in a plastic tote. My chief concern in the beginning was the possibility of transferring a plastic/vinyl odor to the grain. But I could not detect any.

I can see that if you have you grains that long. I fortunately don’t have that problem.:wink:

1 Like

Well, specialty grains may take up to a year over here… Especially when I do a one style then move on to the standard house brews… Sneezles61

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com