Any Recommendations on a Fridge for Lagering and Kegging?

That’s a nice range. Please don’t post the link because I can’t explain a third beer fridge to my wife :slight_smile:

“Honey, I can’t explain it. The third beer fridge just…is…”

Sounds good to me! :wink:

Folks might find this helpful:

http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator4.htm

It’s a step-by-step of how two turn a 4.4 cu ft Danby fridge into a kegerator to hold two kegs and co2. Even if this is isn’t the size you want, good info for how to convert.

Wow, thanks for all of the great information! I would like to purchase a fridge soon and convert it to a kegerator as a nice summer project.

Cheers!

I realize that this post has not been updated in a while, but here is a question. I was able to get a great 14 cubic foot chest freezer for $65 on Craigslist (had to drive 30 miles each way to get it, but so worth it). I will be using it for kegs and fermenting lagers. From what I am reading on here, it will not really work for lagering though, right? It sounds like serving temps for ales (I will likely have ales and lagers) is around 45 - 50 and lagering should be done in the mid 30s, right?

So, I will likely need to have an additional unit for lagering - just something big enough for a 5 gallon carboy?

thanks

No easy way to use a single fridge for serving and brewing lagers. I ended up with two, one to use for serving and storing beer that is fixed at 42 degrees (used the coarse adjust screw on the built in thermostat to make the chest freezer run at that temp) and another chest freezer that I ferment in. Run the fermentation fridge at what ever temp is needed, in the 60’s for most ales, down in the 50’s for lagers and down at 32 degrees if nothing is fermenting and I’ve got beers to lager, cold crash or cold condition.

Thanks Flip - that is what I am finding - I think I will look into two freezers - I have the space. I will look into if I can find a ‘course adjust screw’ on the built in thermostat on the freezer - I set it on the minimum setting and it froze water, so maybe I can tinker with it.

If you pull out the thermostat on the chest freezer mine was there on the side. Trick was figuring out which direction make the set point higher. (non-intuitive clock wise in my case)