Any harm in throwing in more yeast after a couple of days?

I brewed the Megalodon Imperial Red Ale with an OG of 1.090, so I rehydrated two packs of U.S.-05. My thermometer said the starter was 75 degrees and the wort 72 degrees when I pitched it. However when I put it in my mini fridge and stuck the sensor in the wort, it read 75.7 degrees, so…

I’ve used this yeast before, but I just always threw it in dry and it’s taken off usually after 4-5 hours. It’s not been 20 hours and this batch hasn’t started yet. I’m going to give it another day, but then figure I’d go ahead and order a couple more packs of U.S.-05 and just throw them in dry when they get here.

That’s no big deal is it?

No need to spend money on more yeast.

20 hours isn’t very long on such a big beer. You’ll want to wait at least 72 hours.

Be sure to use a hydrometer to determine if your yeast is working.

In the future, best practice is to not make yeast starters with dry yeast.

Either re-hydrate it or pitch it directly into the wort.

If after 72 hours your hydrometer reading indicates no decline in specific gravity, then perhaps consider pitching more yeast.

You’ll have to excuse me - I’m a newbie. I didn’t create a “starter” - I just rehydrated.

You should be fine. Based you your post, the only thing that popped out as less than ideal is you pitched about 10 degrees warmer than you should have to get the best flavors, but that shouldn’t have any impact on yeast viability. Actually, it is better for the yeast health, just not as good for the beer flavor.

It is always possible that the yeast could have been cooked in a hot car or something similar before you got it, and thus was dead before you pitched it, but unless there was some very unusual situation like that, there is no need to repitch.

Cool - thanks much guys - appreciate it!

:cheers:

On this same topic, I have a Trappist Ale that I brewed 11 days ago. OG was 1.069, I had a made a yeast starter. Checked it today, it’s only down to 1.036. At the advice of the guy at the NB store, this evening I added 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer per gal of wort (2.5 tsps for 5 gal) and stirred up the yeast back into suspension w/ a sanitized spoon. How good is this suggestion? And what’s my next move?

adding yeast energizer couldn’t hurt and stirring the yeast could help. but sometimes its tough to restart a stalled fermentation.

adding yeast energizer couldn’t hurt and stirring the yeast could help. but sometimes its tough to restart a stalled fermentation.[/quote]
I agree, but more info could be helpful.

What yeast did you use, how big a starter, did you aerate the wort, what temperature are you fermenting at?

Are you using a refractometer to take your gravity readings?

Are you using a refractometer to take your gravity readings?[/quote]
Good insight. Refractometer needs to get a correction applied to the reading if there is alcohol present.

Yes, I used a yeast starter, about 1.2 L, Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. Followed instructions from Beer Geek Nation’s youtube video on yeast starters. Aerated by pouring cooled wort through a double mesh strainer & funnel to keep hop sludge out of fermenter. I’m fermenting in the upper 60’s. Yes, I use a refractometer that I just got to take readings. Any help w/ the correction to account for the alcohol? Not quite sure on that.

This is the calculator most people use that I have heard is pretty accurate.
http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

I don’t use a refractometer so i can’t confirm it’s accuracy.

Great. How do I figure out my refractometer’s wort correction factor? Seems like a large variable that I don’t quite understand.

I’m betting on the refractometer conversion issue. 3787 is a beast and would eat through a little 1.060 beer even without the starter. You’re probably closer to 1.009-1.010. Check it with a hydrometer and see what you get.

Thanks for that link guys! When I plugged my refractometer readings into that calculator, it looks like I’m down to 1.016 which makes me feel a lot better. Still think it has a chance of going lower, so I’ll give a few more days. Should I rack to secondary or not?

If it was me I’d leave it in primary. The only reason I can think of for secondary with that beer would be if you started with questionable quality yeast, and was worried about autolysis and resulting off flavors, or you buy into the argument that using secondary makes clearer beer - something I have not seen.