Any experiences with late fermentation extract additions?

Are there any negatives to adding extracts after fermentation has begun? I’m talking about high gravity beers that I would add a sealed bag of LME to on say day 5. If I was after a 1.100 gravity and wanted to be sure that there was enough healthy yeast but not too much and not a ton of blow off and assuming the product is sanitary, would the beer achieve the same results as adding everything from the start? If not, could the results produce a quality product anyway?

I have personally never done this, but the method you describe sounds a bit like krausening. The extract in the bag should be sanitized already (if not sterile). The only question I have about this is how will the extract “dissolve” into the beer. I picture all that malt syrup clumping at the bottom of your fermenter.

I don’t know how much volume you have in your fermenter, but if I were doing this, I think I would put that extract in a small amount of water, but big enough to boil 15 minutes without scorching, then cool and add to your beer.