Any creative false bottoms out there?

I have a converted keg with a valve and temp gauge on it that I dont use anymore. I have been thinking I’d like to make it my new mash tun because right now I’m using a 48 qt rectangle cooler and cant make a big 10 gallon beer with it. I don’t have the $ to shell out at the moment for a false bottom. Was wondering if anyone has made anything cheaply to serve the purpose. My valve pickup tube is a short one that picks up from the side not middle.

I’d probably go with the stainless, braided hose option. There are many posts discussing it and Denny details it on his website (I think). I used one from a dishwasher supply line and it has been great.

+1. Cheap and easy and effective. Why get complicated?

and then you have a way to keep the mash temps up?

I use the SS braid and keep mash temps up just by throwing a old sleeping bag (or sheets–anything to insulate little bit). I sometimes have to hit the burner but my kettle full of mash hold temps pretty well.

I am wondering if anyone has a creative way to protect the SS braid and keep it on the bottom. I often stir it with the mash and it tends to “float”.

[quote=“newerbrewer”]I use the SS braid and keep mash temps up just by throwing a old sleeping bag (or sheets–anything to insulate little bit). I sometimes have to hit the burner but my kettle full of mash hold temps pretty well.

I am wondering if anyone has a creative way to protect the SS braid and keep it on the bottom. I often stir it with the mash and it tends to “float”.[/quote]

You’re sure it’s SS and not plastic right? I put a metal rod inside my braid before folding it over. Keeps it straight and on the bottom.

I had that problem too, years ago when I went allgrain and used the SS braid. I got a stainless bolt and hose clamped it in the end of the braid and have had not further problems for years.

I did end up going with the ss braid. Not sure why I didnt think of that to begin with. I was surprised at how well the keg kept my mash temp. I only turned my burner on once very low for a short time. Shouda been using my keg all along. Clean up is a little more work but worth the extra mash space. I can easily do a low gravity 15 gallon batch now.

Duh. . . why hadn’t I thought of a metal rod or a bolt. . . simplicity at its best!

Thanks!

I took some thin copper wire, wrapped it around a pencil to make a coil and shoved that inside my braid. Works like a charm