Antique Tabletop Cappers

I saw that Craig on CraigTube had one on his bench, and got interested in old table top cappers because I’m into antiques and (now) brewing. Discounting the larger Euro-sized caps and those bottles… if I stay with regulation US made 12oz bottles and new plastic seal caps, is there any reason an “antique” US-made capper couldn’t be used for my modest hobby brewing needs?

Assuming the capper can adjust to the correct bottle height, what other issues (other than a worn out capper die) might I run into?

They simply seem so much more elegant and substantial than the new plastic ones.

[quote=“Wobbly”]I saw that Craig on CraigTube had one on his bench, and got interested in old table top cappers because I’m into antiques and (now) brewing. Discounting the larger Euro-sized caps and those bottles… if I stay with regulation US made 12oz bottles and new plastic seal caps, is there any reason an “antique” US-made capper couldn’t be used for my modest hobby brewing needs?

Assuming the capper can adjust to the correct bottle height, what other issues (other than a worn out capper die) might I run into?

They simply seem so much more elegant and substantial than the new plastic ones.[/quote]

I have two older / antique bench cappers, and I find that they work better then any of the new ones available.
Ill post a couple pics when I get home.

Thanks. I’d really love to see them.

Apparently bottling at home was huge 70 years ago, because Ebay is covered up with all descriptions of old cappers and corkers.

:slight_smile:

CRAP.

I forgot again. :oops: Hopefully tonight I’ll remeber

Here are my older / antique bench cappers.
I did some research on them and found that both were produced by “The Everedy Company” of Frederick, MD. I guess the factory closed in the 70’s dating the cappers back at least that far.

The silver, CLIMAX brand capper is one that my dad picked up used in the early 70s and probably dates to the mid to late 60’s.

The older, rustier one I got at an estate sale after someones grandfather passed. Anyways, I would date that one to the late 40’s early 50’s from the brand name and style of it.

Both work fantastic and I doubt I will ever replace them.

[attachment=2]IMAG4518 (Large).jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMAG4520 (Large).jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMAG4523 (Large).jpg[/attachment]