Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Another starter question

So I have a wyeast pack (belg abbey 2) that I want to make a starter with. The beer is Lefse Blonde from NB. It uses Pilsen malt, but I don’t have any extra to make the starter with. I do have light DME and some wheat DME. Can I use either one of those and not mess up the beer profile or should I buy some extra pils malt?

Thanks,
-b

Make it far enough in advance to be able to chill and decant the beer off the yeast.

Just use the light DME that’s all I ever use.

+1 Same here.

+1 Use light DME and decant. I decant all of my starters.

+1 Use light DME and decant. I decant all of my starters.[/quote]

What is the purpose of decanting? I’ve always just tossed the entire thing in.

[quote=“paultuttle”]
What is the purpose of decanting? I’ve always just tossed the entire thing in.[/quote]

you CAN toss the whole thing in.

the purpose of decanting is to avoid any off flavors that the starter liquid might introduce.

for example: most starters are made at higher than optimum temperature for good beers, thus possibly carrying some tannins or off flavors (not infected, just not optimum). decanting keeps the flavor contribution from the starter minimal

that being said. a lot of people just pitch the whole thing. But its just not necessary to add the extra liquid when you only need the yeast

OK, that makes sense. Now that leads me to another question: How do I get the yeast cake from the bottom of the flask if I decant all the liquid off? Or do I leave just enough liquid to get the yeast out?

There are a couple ways you can do this

1. leave just enough starter wort to swirl around and get the yeast ‘dislodged’, then poor into the fermenter, like you suggested

or

1. decant all the starter beer. then add some of the wort of your true beer to swirl the yeast and poor it into the fermenter

I hadn’t even thought about #2. Duh. Thanks!

I usually leave a very small amount of the starter wort. because it’s cloudy and has some yeast. but i do add some of the ‘real beer’ to swirl the yeast out of the flask

That makes the most sense to me. Thanks, Mr. Scoggin!

Thanks for all the great information!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com