Another stab at a "fruity" APA

Sorry for posting on this subject again, but I took another look at what I was trying to achieve and took another stab at the recipe. I’m attempting to make an APA with a fruity flavor, preferably to get a passionfruit flavor like Kona brewing achieves in its Big Wave Golden Ale. (I toured their brewery in Kona a couple of years ago and they said they got the passionfruit flavor entirely from the hops they used, and their website indicates they use Citra and Galaxy – I imagine for bittering and flavor, respectively.)

I’m going to use 9# two row pale malt, 10 oz of 20L caramel malt, and 8 oz carapils. Then, 0.6 oz citra for 60 minutes and 1 oz hallertauer blanc for 15 minutes. I’ll be using WY 1272.

This gives, according to Beersmith, 1.050 OG, 5.5% ABV, 38 IBU (BR of 0.76) which puts it within the normal range of an APA, although a bit on the light side, 4.8 SRM.

I realize that Hallertauer Blanc is a new hop breed and that most brewers don’t have any experience with it, but the description gave me the impression that it would be well suited to what I’m trying to create. I also realize that I could use galaxy, but the description made it sound like I’d end up a bit less on the fruity side and perhaps a bit more grassy flavor. I’m open to suggestions on what other hops may give me the passionfruit flavor I’m after.

And, again, I’m new to APA’s having spent most of my time brewing Belgians and English Ales.

Any comments or suggestions?

If it were me, I would put the Citra right up front and center in the flavor/aroma additions. And I am sure that mixing with Galaxy would work for what you are trying to accomplish.

That’s light on the hops for an APA IMHO. I would bump up the late hops to 3-4 oz. but I guess big wave golden ale isn’t a hop bomb so maybe another oz at 5min

I’d add a ~ 1oz flame out addition of Galaxy or Citra. I’ve never had the beer but it sounds like your going for a subtle hop flavor. The flame out addition will add a layer of aroma which is a huge part of taste and I think will bring out the passion fruit.

I checked the Kona website and their Big Wave Golden Ale is a pretty subtle beer as far as hops go – they have only 21 IBUs whereas I’m calculating mine to be around 36. I think theirs is too thin, so I’m bumping my recipe up.

As for the flameout hops, you (beerme11) recommended an ounce of Galaxy or Citra. I have a couple of questions;

1. Would Citra give more of a citrus aroma than Galaxy? Would the citrus aroma overwhelm the ability to taste the fruit flavors?

2. How long would you leave that flameout dose in the wort? I don’t want to get too much citrus from the Citra or too much grassiness from the Galaxy, but I like your idea of providing a bump to the flavor through aroma. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you want any fruity esters from the yeast I’d ferment it on the warm side. I use that yeast almost exclusively in my AIPAs and APAs and it ferments very clean at 63. Also flocs like a bomb when you cold crash.

Despite the name, I don’t find Citra hops to be particularly citrusy. More yellow fruit to me-- pineapple and mango.

[quote=“Antwerp”]I checked the Kona website and their Big Wave Golden Ale is a pretty subtle beer as far as hops go – they have only 21 IBUs whereas I’m calculating mine to be around 36. I think theirs is too thin, so I’m bumping my recipe up.

As for the flameout hops, you (beerme11) recommended an ounce of Galaxy or Citra. I have a couple of questions;

1. Would Citra give more of a citrus aroma than Galaxy? Would the citrus aroma overwhelm the ability to taste the fruit flavors?

2. How long would you leave that flameout dose in the wort? I don’t want to get too much citrus from the Citra or too much grassiness from the Galaxy, but I like your idea of providing a bump to the flavor through aroma. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks[/quote]

1. Not sure, I’ve used both but its been awhile. I remember them being similar. Descriptions can only take you so far. Sometimes you have to just make a choice, take notes, and adjust from there.

2. It sounds like the beer is more a blonde than a pale ale. My suggestion is your recipe + 0.5 oz of galaxy at flame out. Let steep for 10-15 min then chill. Good luck :cheers: