Another rookie question. Bottling day

Simple question here. I am ready to bottle my Irish Red Ale today, and I was wondering about the priming sugar they sent me. The directions on the recipe say to mix 2/3 cup of corn sugar in 16 oz of water, and 5/8 cup of table sugar in 16 oz of water. But a 5 oz bag of “priming sugar” came in the recipe kit, so is that bag filled with both sugars already and I’m supposed to just boil the contents of that whole bag in 16 oz of water?

I believe it should have said OR not AND. 3.5-5ox of corn sugar is ample for 5 gallons. That is about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Use the whole pack they gave you.

According to the instructions on their site, you choose one of those to prime w/.

[quote]20. Mix a priming solution (a measured amount of sugar
dissolved in water to carbonate the bottled beer). Use
the following amounts, depending on which type of
sugar you will use:

– Corn sugar (dextrose) 2/3 cup in 16 oz water.
– Table sugar (sucrose) 5/8 cup in 16 oz water.[/quote]

Also, here is a nice calculator depending on the style you are brewing.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

just you the pack that was provided. it is an either/or thing. good luck.

Fill a soda bottle with your brew. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles.

Thanks guys. So, just to be clear, just dump the bag of sugar they sent me into 16 oz of water and bring it to a boil? I would hate to screw something up after getting this far.

[quote=“SifuJoe79”]Thanks guys. So, just to be clear, just dump the bag of sugar they sent me into 16 oz of water and bring it to a boil? I would hate to screw something up after getting this far.[/quote]Yup it’s that easy. Then pour that into your sanitized bottling bucket and rack the beer gently onto that. Stir gently every 6 bottles.

Stop over thinking it. :shock:

Boil it for at least 5 minutes though to drive any oxygen out of the water. You don’t want that going into the beer.

Boil it for at least 5 minutes though to drive any oxygen out of the water. You don’t want that going into the beer.[/quote]

I could boil 16oz down to a thimble in 5 minutes.

Boil gently for 5 min. You can use a little less than what’s in the package. All of it will be OK too.