Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Another New Brewer Question

Brewing my first batch so bear with me. I have had my Irish Red in the primary fermentor for a day short of two weeks. I noticed the lock wasn’t bubbling any longer three days ago, so I took an initial gravity reading and got 1.012. Took another gravity reading today and it’s still reading 1.012. I have two questions: a) Should I continue to let it sit in primary for awhile longer before moving it (bottling or secondary)? b) the recipe calls for secondary fermentation but I’ve been hearing that secondary is really for dry hopping, clarity, etc. Is it necessary, or recommended?

I don’t want to rush things but of course I have the first timers anxiousness. Any help is appreciated.

1. I think it is done. 2-3 more days will be certain but again I think you are ok anyway

2. I don’t think you need to secondary at all. I would NOT for an Irish Red. While if you are careful with sanitation etc it should be fine to secondary, the things you could mess up doing a secondary for this beer versus what you would gain (very little…) really isn’t worth the time or chance. it really isn’t.

My vote is skip the secondary, bottle tomorrow or maybe on a quiet Sunday afternoon, wait a few weeks and enjoy

I rarely 2nd, but some people do. I’d give it at least another week, then bottle.

What size batch? If you have the room, cold crashing in your fridge after a week will drop out a lot of trub.

The yeast have done the job of fermenting, more time will let them clean up undesirable byproducts.

:cheers: to your first beer.

It’s your first batch, been fermenting for 2 weeks, gravity is consistent, so far so good. I say skip the secondary, bottle it up and get another one going. It may take a few weeks to condition but you’ll be drinking your own brew. You can nail down the finer points of brewing in subsequent batches.

[quote=“mrv”]I rarely 2nd, but some people do. I’d give it at least another week, then bottle.

What size batch? If you have the room, cold crashing in your fridge after a week will drop out a lot of trub.

The yeast have done the job of fermenting, more time will let them clean up undesirable byproducts.

:cheers: to your first beer.[/quote]
This. No need to secondary, but it will improve if you give it an extra week before bottling, and if you can get it in your fridge for that week, it will get really nice and clear. When you bottle, be careful not to stir up the sediment, or it will go into the bottles.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com