Another does this recipe look okay question

So I’ve got some left over hops some that have been in my freezer since May. Just to get rid of them my brother and I were thinking of doing a left over hop IPA. I’m thinking if this works I’ll just use the same grain bill for other left over hop beers. I always seem to end up with .25-.75oz of hops left over.

This is what I have so far for a 5 gallon batch:

12 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Crystal 40l
.25 lbs flaked barley

.75oz Columbus 90min
.75oz Northern Brewer 30min
.25oz Kent Golding 15min
.5oz Fuggles 15min
.25oz Cluster 10min

.25oz Centennial Dry hop

US-05 Ferment cool.

I was also thinking I may add an ounce or more of something to dry hop for better aroma maybe bump the dry hop to 1.25oz.

Seems like a lot of caramel malt. I’m not nearly good enough to figure out the IBU’s in my head but that doesn’t seem like enough hops to balance the sweetness from the caramel either (maybe that Columbus is a very high AA batch though). Maybe you’re going for something a bit different but I’d look at some other recipes you like first to see if any you’ve like use that much caramel.

Interesting hop schedule with the mix of English and American hop varieties.

i plugged some of your ingredients into my beersmith and it says you will get around 56.1 IBU’s which is a little low for your 7.5%abv (assuming 75% efficiancy) IPA. you can lower youre grain bill a little to acheive a higher IBU or you could add more hops.

i would also use more late addition hops.

i would also recommend lowing the crystal a bit.

keep in mind, this is how I would do things. making your own recipes and tweaking them is a great learning experience.

heres a copy of what my beersmith says, if it helps:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.21 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 14.04 %
4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 1.75 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 34.0 IBU
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.48 %
Bitterness: 56.1 IBU
Est Color: 12.0 SRM

(edit: with S05 you will probably get a lower FG than 1.020. so expect a little higher ABV) (too lazy to type it into my beersmith again with the correct attenuation)

Sounds like a true cluster fuggle beer. I hope it’s delicious!