Annoying Beer Snob

But he’s also the single best arm-wrestler I know. He’s basically Lincoln Hawk from “Over the Top”, but far taller, and doesn’t p1ss off Robert Loggia nearly as much.[/quote]

People still arm wrestle? I spend too much time in the city.

I’m a beer slob.

There, I said it.

I was working behind a bar in an upscale but very cool “man’s man” steakhouse years ago when the cigar boom surged. It was funny to watch people who never smoked a cigar in their life, light it, handle it and smoke it. Then they’d sit there with their cronies and discuss the labels, the nuances of flavor, how much it cost and blah blah blah.

I always wondered what the older guy sitting next to them with his drink and “just a cigar” thought of their banter. A guy that’s been smoking them for years and simply enjoys a good inexpensive smoke.

Most things in life, especially the most enjoyable ones don’t need to be overanalyzed. It’s a cigar. It’s a beer. It’s bourbon or scotch. If it’s noteworthy then great, but that’s about where it ends with me.

FTR; I love to have the time to smoke a cigar. That’s what makes it taste the best. It doesn’t happen often though :expressionless:

These people do exist, but they are not that common. I spend more time with non-homebrewing craft beer drinkers than I do with homebrewers, and I’ve only met two people in my life that I’d consider snobbish about beer. One was a guy who I met in belgium, we were trying to set up a beer trade and when I offered some of the better new england hard-to-get stuff (ithaca white gold, ghandi bot, imperial stout trooper), he said he wasn’t interested in “shelf beers!”

Great idea above, I’ll have to suggest a craft beer meeting to the brew club.

I mostly buy unusual/rare/expensive (relatively) beers just so I can get an idea of what they taste like so I can make my own. Hard to know if you’re going in the right direction if you haven’t tried a good example of the style.

Beer traditionally being the common man’s drink, I think it has fewer d1cks per 100 drinkers than wine does. But I’m sure thats increasing as craft beer gains in popularity.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]But I’m sure thats increasing as craft beer gains in popularity.[/quote]There will always be people who think that what they consume (or wear, or drive, whatever) make them superior to other people who just don’t know as much or can’t afford “the best”. Of course, they all end up feeding the worms like the rest of us slobs.

I guess I’m more of a beer lover than a beer snob then. One of the main reasons I got into homebrewing is because I could get good (mostly great) beer for super cheap by brewing it myself. I have no desire to pay a ton of money for one bottle of rare beer that’s probably past it’s expiration anyway.

:cheers:

Anyone here ever tried the Tactical Nuclear Penguin ?

I brush my teeth with it.

I brush my teeth with it.[/quote]

That is funny!

Especially since the beer is such an over the top nutball of a brew that I have no interest in trying.

I guess I could never be a beer snob.
Went to a place once with a friend, he loves the place and he was buying LOL
YIKES! $8 for a bottle of BEER!
OK, most of it was supposed to be fancy imported beers, but they had the cheap stuff also like Miler and Bud for $6 a bottle YIKES

A decent large pizza and some brews he popped $100 bill. He don’t get to go there often as it’s far from home, but he thinks it’s the greatest place in the world just about.
Me, I’d rather got a Wal-mart Supreme 16" pizza to bake at home for $9 or 2 for $18 and a case of $20 beer LOL

A lot of good comments in this thread. On one hand, I would like to say, “to each their own,” and leave it at that. But if I were to be totally honest and judgmental for a minute, I would have to say that I’m rather annoyed by the segment of beer drinkers who blindly think a beer is only good if it is high strength, high IBU, aged in barrel in a space capsule while orbiting above Belgium, etc. What makes these beers any “better” than a well made, ordinary ale? Each has its place.

A lot of people seem to be too easily influenced by the pretentious Ratebeer idiots who fall into the category above, which is yielding more and more people of like mind. It’s too bad that a lot of new craft beer drinkers get their beer education from ratebeer.

Given the topic, I feel compelled to briefly explain my username. I used to not drink beer at all, because I did not like the the beers I tried–which happened to be the same American pilsners that most people drink in the US. When I discovered beer that I liked (which happened to be imports and craft beer) and would only buy those, my friends started to jokingly call me a beer snob. I embraced it and it has stuck with me. It turns out I just don’t like most pilsners–even those made by craft brewers. Just like I have yet to find a Hefeweizen that I enjoy.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]A lot of good comments in this thread. On one hand, I would like to say, “to each their own,” and leave it at that. But if I were to be totally honest and judgmental for a minute, I would have to say that I’m rather annoyed by the segment of beer drinkers who blindly think a beer is only good if it is high strength, high IBU, aged in barrel in a space capsule while orbiting above Belgium, etc. What makes these beers any “better” than a well made, ordinary ale? Each has its place.

A lot of people seem to be too easily influenced by the pretentious Ratebeer idiots who fall into the category above, which is yielding more and more people of like mind. It’s too bad that a lot of new craft beer drinkers get their beer education from ratebeer.

Given the topic, I feel compelled to briefly explain my username. I used to not drink beer at all, because I did not like the the beers I tried–which happened to be the same American pilsners that most people drink in the US. When I discovered beer that I liked (which happened to be imports and craft beer) and would only buy those, my friends started to jokingly call me a beer snob. I embraced it and it has stuck with me. It turns out I just don’t like most pilsners–even those made by craft brewers. Just like I have yet to find a Hefeweizen that I enjoy.[/quote]
+1. Almost all of the highly-rated beers on Ratebeer or BA are way high gravity.

I brush my teeth with it.[/quote]

That is funny!

Especially since the beer is such an over the top nutball of a brew that I have no interest in trying.[/quote]
I’ve never actually had any desire to try it either. I did pick up a bottle of Sam Adams Millennium Ale in '03 or so. I drank it the Christmas of '07. and I did like it.

I agree that some people will only drink the highly rated brews on BA etc., but lets not rule all of them out either. The other day my wife and I shared a bottle of Nectar Ales Black Xantus Imperial Stout. The bottle was 2 years old and cost 14.99 for 22 oz. I rarely spend that much for a brew, but WOW! That was one fabulous beer. May be the best Imp. Stout I have ever tasted. I am glad that I let the clerk at the store talk me into buying it.

I don’t think anyone is completely dismissing BA or Ratebeer…well, at least I’m not. Sometimes they get it right. The collective bias just seems to be strongly in favor of high gravity, high IBU, etc. to the extent that the aggregate ratings seem largely dismissive of sound, ordinary brews.

+1 on the Millenium, but it is definitely a buy one and share it beer and not nearly so far out on the spectrum like these super boozed hop bombs that get so highly rated.

+1 on the Millenium, but it is definitely a buy one and share it beer and not nearly so far out on the spectrum like these super boozed hop bombs that get so highly rated.[/quote]
it was just at the beginning of the “out doing” wars.

I was once a beer snob.

Hey y’all. New guy here, been lurking for a while. Not brewing yet but making plans.

I love good beer, and there was a time when I turned my nose up at the cheap stuff. One time I was at an event of some kind with some friends. I stood in the beer line for a few minutes, got to the front and it turned out they were serving Bud and nothing else. I was ticked and got out of line.

Then I though, hell with it, I want a beer. If Bud is what they’re serving, that’s what I’ll have. So I did. And it sucked, as expected, but I was out with my friends having a beer and a good time.

I’d prefer a Surly Furious or a Rogue Dead Guy or a Deschutes Nitro Stout, but whatever you’re serving, crack one open for me.

However, I draw the line at Lone Star.

[quote=“KenBakerMN”]I was once a beer snob.

Hey y’all. New guy here, been lurking for a while. Not brewing yet but making plans.

I love good beer, and there was a time when I turned my nose up at the cheap stuff. One time I was at an event of some kind with some friends. I stood in the beer line for a few minutes, got to the front and it turned out they were serving Bud and nothing else. I was ticked and got out of line.

Then I though, hell with it, I want a beer. If Bud is what they’re serving, that’s what I’ll have. So I did. And it sucked, as expected, but I was out with my friends having a beer and a good time.

I’d prefer a Surly Furious or a Rogue Dead Guy or a Deschutes Nitro Stout, but whatever you’re serving, crack one open for me.

However, I draw the line at Lone Star.[/quote]
I like it. :cheers: