Annoying Beer Snob

if we can’t laugh at ourselves…

A true beer snob would know that 150 IBUs is about 50 IBUs more than you can actually get in a beer! :wink:

No he wouldn’t. Beer snobs are typically naive and think they know more than they actually do. It’s like really cocky or arrogant people…they’re typically pretty inadequate.
Beer snobs can’t just appreciate a beer for what it is, it has to be a certain way.

But I don’t know, I might be way off on that one. I don’t care about the whole seeking out the rarest and most extreme beers thing, it is silly to me. Just drink beer, enjoy it, share it (or don’t), live it. It’s beer, it’s made to be drank and enjoyed. Don’t bitch about it.
I used to be one of those people who would berate another beer drinker’s tastes…but that’s pointless, who cares what they like, like what you like and that’s that.

The biggest beer snobs I’ve ever met are a subset of Budweiser drinkers. They’ll only drink Budweiser, and turn their nose up at a Miller, Coors, Stella, etc.

I’m pretty certain you can get more measured IBU in a beer. But I think 100 is about the threshold fro taste.

Ha! I have a friend of a friend from Cleveland who WILL NOT go to certain bars if they do not have Strohs. He will reluctantly drink Budweiser.

Simply amazing.

But he’s also the single best arm-wrestler I know. He’s basically Lincoln Hawk from “Over the Top”, but far taller, and doesn’t p1ss off Robert Loggia nearly as much.

I’m with Beersk. I work in an all beer bar with lots of rotating handles and you’d be amazed at the things I hear from people… also- I’m extremely guilty of the beer photos on facebook.

[quote=“Denny”]But I think 100 is about the threshold fro taste.[/quote]That’s all that matters, though! :wink:

[quote=“Beersk”]
I don’t care about the whole seeking out the rarest and most extreme beers thing, it is silly to me. Just drink beer, enjoy it, share it (or don’t), live it. It’s beer, it’s made to be drank and enjoyed. Don’t bitch about it.
I used to be one of those people who would berate another beer drinker’s tastes…but that’s pointless, who cares what they like, like what you like and that’s that.[/quote]
This.

I love the idea of great beer. That is open to interpretation and everyone has their own. The idea of waiting in line and paying $45 to get into some place that’s tapping their first and only keg of chocolate-mushroom saison with sprinkles? No. Shelling out $100 for a bomber of something? No, no, no. I love beer and I am a beer drinker. But to place beer (or certain types of beer) on some high, unreachable pedestal is not working for me. It’s also not working when a brewery wants to make a 25% ABV beer or a 300 IBU beer or whatever. Drink what you like, brew what you like.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“Beersk”]
I don’t care about the whole seeking out the rarest and most extreme beers thing, it is silly to me. Just drink beer, enjoy it, share it (or don’t), live it. It’s beer, it’s made to be drank and enjoyed. Don’t bitch about it.
I used to be one of those people who would berate another beer drinker’s tastes…but that’s pointless, who cares what they like, like what you like and that’s that.[/quote]
This.

I love the idea of great beer. That is open to interpretation and everyone has their own. The idea of waiting in line and paying $45 to get into some place that’s tapping their first and only keg of chocolate-mushroom saison with sprinkles? No. Shelling out $100 for a bomber of something? No, no, no. I love beer and I am a beer drinker. But to place beer (or certain types of beer) on some high, unreachable pedestal is not working for me. It’s also not working when a brewery wants to make a 25% ABV beer or a 300 IBU beer or whatever. Drink what you like, brew what you like.[/quote]
Right. To me, this isn’t love of beer, it’s the love of the IDEA of beer. Which is the impression I get from many of the people over at BeerAdvocate.com. They SEEM to love beer, but I think they only love the idea of beer. And, I should put this in the “hate” thread, but I hate the whole WHALE thing…argh! You guys know what I’m talking about?

Anywho…Joe, I can only assume that’s you in that beer snob photo…

What’s WHALE?

i agree with there being two different types of beer snobs. I always get a kick out of the die hard miller fans who mock coors drinkers. I was at a backyard bonfire gathering this weekend at a friends house with a bunch of their friends who look down their nose at non craft beer. I purposely bring a 12 pack of genesee or in this case some Pig’s Eye, just to get them going. at one point I overheard some one mention that they had drove 350 miles to stand in line for a release of a beer a couple of months ago and he was so pumped about getting his hand on a bomber of beer that he now plans on letting sit on a shelf for a couple of months because he is so excited that he got it that he doesn’t want to be able to stop telling people that he has some at the house.

Beersk, not me. just a photo I found. And I fully agree with you. It’s funny how caught up people get in the whole, extreme/rare/one-off beer thing. Just sit back and enjoy your beer. it doesn’t matter what you’re drinking… As long as you like it.

it’s arrogance & condescension that makes the snob. with that said, I drink only the rarest & most obscure beers because I deserve nothing less. and if none of you drink the same beers as I do, then you really don’t like beer. :roll:

I might be a minority here, but I feel like if the conditions are right and the brewers trustworthy enough and the palate sensitive enough there’s plenty of justification to pay what would otherwise be considered an egregious amount of money for a well made bottle. The direction that microbrewing and homebrewing is taking off in completely warrants a new level of connoisseurs. Granted, you guys are totally onto something when it comes to calling people out for being more into the IDEA of beer and the appearance of being into said beer than a genuine appreciation for it, but I do feel like there is a another level of brewing and a good enough sense of perfection that it’s not completely out of line to have the occasional snootey tasting and pricing. Aged brews particularly.

This all could, of course, come from the fact that I was a wine drinker far before I was a brewer and micro-lover; and I have to admit that when I was having my higher end bottles it wasn’t always worth it, but when it was good, it was goddamn good… to a degree that it has made an entire evening all the more memorable among good company. So there’s that.

I don’t consider myself a beer snob, but I do have Ken Lenard’s Memory Lapse Pale in primary right now! But I still respect you if you don’t! Someday you’ll come around…

Hoppenheimer - I agree. I don’t have a problem with a person spending money on a great beer if that is how they want to spend their money. I personally will spend a couple hundred a year on good scotch. Just like you were spending your money on wine. I guess my problem comes from people who will buy beer based solely on price and beeradvocate rating and not ever branch out to try other beers. I find this with my generation of beer drinkers, the mid to late 20’s crowd. I meet a lot of people who will tell me about this great beer they drank and then point me to their blog or beeradvocate review about and then tell me how they were alone at home when they drank it. Your line about it being a memorable moment among good company nails it. Just like there are homebrew clubs there should almost be craft brew clubs so people can enjoy these special beers with friends, and make the cost of a bottle not seem as bad if your sharing amongst friends who are doing likewise.

As in Captain Ahab’s White Whale. The beer you pursue to the ends of the earth, because it’s so hard to obtain.

As in Captain Ahab’s White Whale. The beer you pursue to the ends of the earth, because it’s so hard to obtain.[/quote]
Ah, got it. Yeah, not for me. I pursue homebrewing information to the ends of the Earth so I can make great beer at home! :lol:

I’ll tell you what’s fun though… being at a party or wherever when beer is being discussed and being able to have a conversation with people who don’t know about beer. Not that I want to be that guy who thinks he knows everything about beer but people who know me know that I have been brewing for many years and will say something like Ken, how do they get that flavor? or something and then a conversation begins where people start asking questions about beer. This can be very fun because most people want to know about how beer is made and what goes into it but don’t really know anything other than what they like and dislike. You guys have all been there when people say, This beer is clearly a lager because it’s gold, right? or This beer must be REALLY high in alcohol because it’s dark and has a lot of hops in it! :roll:

I agree, I love beer… There is a large group of beer drinkers who are convinced they are all- knowing beer snobs when they’ve never expanded their horizons beyond mac and jacks or fat tire. Part of my job is introducing people to new great beers.

I think the best practice is to always remember: regardless of how much you know and how many beers you’ve tasted, there is always more to learn and more beer to try.