Analize this

Brewed The Innkeeper all grain version. Bottled today with a really low FG (1.005)

Two weeks in primary, typical for my lower volume brews.

I have never had more floating material in a batch. Looked like hops and some non-dissolved yeast granules (Danstar Nottingham)

Brew day went well, OG was right on 1.043.

I noticed a lot of hull fiber during vorlaf, and had a hard time clearing it. Batch sparged.

I skimmed out a lot of the scum as boil approached, and a lot of the hull fiber.

I wanted to do a full boil, but my hot liquor sparge set up is only 5 gallon, so I went with 2 qt water per pound of grain for the mash, since it is a light grain bill (6lb grain and 1 lb cor sugar added at boil), so maybe the grain bed had trouble settling.

Pitched yeast at 70 degrees, but I pitched dry, only noticing the strong suggestion on the package to rehydrate after I pitched it.

Anyway, quite a lot of stuff floating as I bottled today. Hopefully it will settle in the bottles.

See any place where I set myself up for trouble?

To me, it sounds like you may have had a large amount of lag time, and possibly bottled shortly after high krausen?? Be on the lookout for bottle bombs, can’t remember the post in its entirety now, but did you take a FG before bottling? 2 weeks sounds awfully PM for bottling… but I pretty much cold condition and keg everything…

Thanks for the response. OG 1.043, FG was 1.005. There was not a lot of krausen judging by the lack of sediment around the edges of the fermenter. I had actually opened it and taken another gravity reading after 4 days after brewing (10 days before bottling) because I was worried the yeast weren’t working - never saw airlock activity. The gravity at that time was 1.008, so I knew the yeast were working. No krausen at that point either.
I’ve bottled most of my lower weight beers after 2 weeks in primary, but this one just looked like it had a lot of floaties. It also hadn’t been moved for 24 hours prior to bottling, so it wasn’t agitated. Clear, but with lots of stuff floating.

It sounds like the issue was not getting a well established filter bed during vorlaf. Maybe the crush was finer than normal and you needed a longer and slower vorlaf.

What do the particles look like? Are you sure they are not hop particles?

is your hydrometer ok?

ive been getting some weird readings from mine lately too.

did it taste like it was .005
did you need a drink of water to wet your pallet afterwards?

like thermometers, cheap hydrometers are also not always completely accurate

[quote=“swirly_commode”]is your hydrometer ok?

ive been getting some weird readings from mine lately too.

did it taste like it was .005 did you need a drink of water to wet your pallet afterwards?

like thermometers, cheap hydrometers are also not always completely accurate[/quote][/quote]

The hydrothermometer is fine. Like I said, the Grav was 1.043 before pitching, 1.008 after 4 days, and 1.005 at 2 weeks. Lowest FG I ever had, but I’m sure.

The taste was good, mild, not real malty, good hops, didn’t notice a big alcohol taste… I can’t comment on the feel of my mouth afterward, because I was slugging down fresh black coffee as I bottled.

Cold crash, or not? If not, I recommend implementing a 1-3 day cold crash for all beers, going forward, to settle floaties.

Never have cold-crashed. I’m sure it would have helped. I suppose it will settle in the bottles.

How does it taste? I’m not familiar with that kit, but that’s an awful low final, which can be a result of wild yeast. It’s capable of eating dextrins that notty can’t, lowering the final gravity and taking the body out of your beer. If it has a funky taste, that could be it.
Btw, you probably want to watch how you spell analyze. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Wild yeast or bacteria - but they may not be so great so as to be able to taste them. Was it ropey or dusty by chance? If it tastes good, then I wouldn’t sweat it.

Not ropy or dusty - pretty clear except for the floaties. Tasted good.

LOL

10 weeks in the bottles and the weird taste is gone. In 2 years I’ve never had one like that before.