Amount of sediment from kettle to primary

I know it is a good idea to avoid the pile of sediment at the bottom of the brew kettle when transferring to the primary. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to leave?

It begins to join the flow with about a half gallon left. I tend to keep going until I get to the really thick stuff, but any thoughts on how much is too much?

Will it increase alcohol content by transferring more sediment to the primary?

Next brew in 5 days!

[quote=“Grizz Talker”]I know it is a good idea to avoid the pile of sediment at the bottom of the brew kettle when transferring to the primary. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to leave?

It begins to join the flow with about a half gallon left. I tend to keep going until I get to the really thick stuff, but any thoughts on how much is too much?

Some people dump the full kettle into the fermenter. Only reason you may want to avoid this is if you are harvesting the yeast for later use.

Will it increase alcohol content by transferring more sediment to the primary?

No. the sediment does not contain sugar. It is hot/cold break, proteins.

Next brew in 5 days![/quote]

Yeah, all your sugar is more or less evenly distributed in your wort. Your potential alcohol won’t change. Your EFFICIENCY changes, if you end up with less beer than you were intending. But the nice thing about being a homebrewer is you don’t have to count pennies like the big boys do.

I try to leave most of the sediment in the kettle, but I inevitably transfer at least some. I don’t sweat it, but then again I rarely reuse yeast. People who use plate chillers have no choice but for cold break to end up in their fermenter. Unless they transfer again before pitching yeast that is.

Good info folks…confirms a few things and makes clear a few others.

Does anyone bother straining the bottom of the kettle for more concentrated wort?

I usually don’t sweat it, but I had to break down and pull out a mesh strainer for my last batch. It had a pound of hop pellets that turned into a mountain of sludginess. Usually I figure it will all eventually end up at the bottom of the fermenter anyway, so why bother…

[quote=“Grizz Talker”]Good info folks…confirms a few things and makes clear a few others.

Does anyone bother straining the bottom of the kettle for more concentrated wort?[/quote]

As Nate mentioned above, your sugars are evenly distributed throughout the wort, so straining will not give you more concentrated wort. All this will do is give you slightly more volume. In some cases it’s worth it; for example, if you don’t hop sock and you’re doing an IPA there can be more than a gallon left over!

Until about 6 months ago I brewed with a 32 qt turkey fryer without a valve. After chilling I would dead lift the kettle and dump the whole thing, sediment and all, into the fermentor. It all settles out during fermentation. Now I brew larger batches with a 100qt kettle, obviously can’t lift that, so I installed a valve and I leave the sediment behind. There is much less trub and a cleaner yeast cake now, but the beer is no different.

:cheers:

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”][quote=“Grizz Talker”]Good info folks…confirms a few things and makes clear a few others.

Does anyone bother straining the bottom of the kettle for more concentrated wort?[/quote]

As Nate mentioned above, your sugars are evenly distributed throughout the wort, so straining will not give you more concentrated wort. All this will do is give you slightly more volume. In some cases it’s worth it; for example, if you don’t hop sock and you’re doing an IPA there can be more than a gallon left over!

Until about 6 months ago I brewed with a 32 qt turkey fryer without a valve. After chilling I would dead lift the kettle and dump the whole thing, sediment and all, into the fermentor. It all settles out during fermentation. Now I brew larger batches with a 100qt kettle, obviously can’t lift that, so I installed a valve and I leave the sediment behind. There is much less trub and a cleaner yeast cake now, but the beer is no different.

:cheers: [/quote]

+1

Thank you much!!!

[quote=“Grizz Talker”]Good info folks…confirms a few things and makes clear a few others.

I use a mesh strainer and pour the entire contents of the kettle through it. I get a nice little green ball of crap that goes down the drain.

I’ve noticed better head retention since leaving the break material behind. Might just be me, I have no proof. I use hop socks and am able to pitch on top of yueast cake with no worries now too.

I attach a hose to the ball valve on my kettle then run in into a mesh bag inside the fermenter. I then use my mash paddle to kind of squeeze out every little bit of wort I can from the bag and I only end up with whatever can fight it’s way through the fine mesh in the bucket.