American Wheat--Secondary or Not?

Hello, all. The primary for my first ever batch (American Wheat) is complete. I realize the American Wheat recipe does not call for a secondary; however, would a secondary enable me to have a better finished product? I realize it would improve clarity, though this is not a big deal to me. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with a secondary for this recipe. Is it worth it? Thanks!

personally, I would skip the secondary. What can be achieved in the secondary, can also be achieved in an extended primary. Especially in a wheat where clarity isn’t a big issue. I’d follow the recipe to the T since this is your first batch, and decide later whether or not to secondary future batches.

how long has it been in the primary and what is your gravity? Wait until the gravity is stable for a few days before you bottle or transfer.

Let’s not tell the OP the follow the instructions to a T. That’s a recipe for disaster! We all know they have not updated the instructions for decades. :lol:

Let it sit for 2 weeks. Then bottle.

When you do bottle, fill 1 (or more) soda bottles. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is formed, the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles. Give the beer 3 weeks to carbonate, even though the soda bottle has expanded. Then 24-48hrs in the fridge.

Stay away from Root Beer, Mr Pib, Dr Pepper and any other strong flavor sodas. Coke/Pepsi/Sprite/Sieria Mist types are fine.

Enjoy!

I skipped the secondary and bottled. The whole process went really well. I’m already eager to get going on my next brew. I would like to make a nice Belgian White. Any suggestions on the extract kits available here? I’m leaning toward the Petite Orange, but not sure yet. Thanks.

All the kits from NB are solid recipes. But, individual tastes may very.

There is one hop variety that some say they taste/smell like cat urine. If those hops were in a NB kit it would not be one that person would like. Others love that hop variety.

Ha. What is the name of that variety, or do I even want to know? I’m thinking petite orange for next batch due orange-coriander grains–a combo that I enjoy.

I don’t want to cloud your perception of the hop. I don’t taste/smell it in the beers I’ve tasted.

If you must know, google is your friend.

Fair enough.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Let’s not tell the OP the follow the instructions to a T. That’s a recipe for disaster! We all know they have not updated the instructions for decades. :lol:
[/quote]

good advice ^, :lol:

i meant that about the secondary part, and forgot about the rest of the kit’s old timey instructions. it’s been a while since i’ve done a NB kit :oops: