Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

American Wheat Beer!

Thinking about making the N B American wheat beer extract kit - made it once before - Was wondering if adding any other hops to it makes any sense or stay with what the kit comes with ? Only asking because I have some extra 1 oz packs of Palisade & chinook pellets hanging around. Any one have any advice when it comes to this kit ? Thanks guys ! :cheers:

It’s all a question of taste. It’s your beer.

IMO adding more hops would throw off the balance. I liked how it was a nice light flavor brew. A perfect “sitting outside on a warm summer day” beer. Adding hops woul make it more like an IPA wannabe. Which is fine, if that’s what you want.

Now substituting hops would make for some very interesting experiments. Given that the kit is just 6lbs wheat malt syrup and 2oz hops, it’s wasy enough to just buy the ingredients a la carte, and do what you like.

The actual Kit instructions are available for download in PDF form from the same page where you would order.

Three Floyd’s Gumballhead is an American Wheat that uses all Amarillo. And my God, is it amazing. I actually made a clone of it back in my extract days and it was hands down the best extract beer I have ever made.

Not sure about the Chinook or Palisade.

Thanks guy’s for your reply’s - I probably will stick with the kit recipe - At least until I learn more about how Hop’s work with different Malts and other ingredients - Thanks again ! :smiley:

Last spring I made a “Jalapeno Wheat.” I diced 1/2 jalapeno into a gallon jug of the straight recipe wort. The finished brew had a very nice fresh cut jalapeno aroma and a light jalapeno flavor. Better than the original I thought. It was not “hot” at all. Very crisp and refreshing. I intend to do a full batch of Jalapeno Wheat this spring…just a tad more Jalapeno this time.

Hey !    dats pretty cool !   -   I would have never thought of that !           :D

This kit is really a good kit to experiment with. It’s light and balanced enough to take many different flavors on. Any fruit/ most spices/ and about any hop could go with it. I’ve done a strawberry wheat, siracha wheat, and even added orange peel to the fermenter once. All came out interesting, and were enjoyed by those I shared with. You might even split the batch to add two different flavors during fermentation. Good luck, and enjoy the Madd Science!!!

Thanks    DrGonzo   -   That orange peel sounds pretty cool !        8)

I’ve done the orange peel and it came out great. Put peels into the boil at maybe 15 min left, then transferred the peels with the wort into the fermentor. The flavor really came through. I’ve also used NB’s apricot flavoring and it was good= but used only two ounces instead of the recommended four.

Have fun, that’s what it’s all about!

:cheers:

Ron

[quote=“Frenchie”]I’ve done the orange peel and it came out great. Put peels into the boil at maybe 15 min left, then transferred the peels with the wort into the fermentor. The flavor really came through. I’ve also used NB’s apricot flavoring and it was good= but used only two ounces instead of the recommended four.

Have fun, that’s what it’s all about!

:cheers:

Ron[/quote]
Hey - thanks for the info Frenchie - and all you other guy’s - It’s starting to look like the American Wheat kit can be played with a little. Maybe I’ll have to stock up on a few more - Lol - Thanks so much Guy’s !!!

I’ve not done this with American Wheat, but on other recipes, I’ll zest a few oranges at the start of the brew day, then place the zest in a small bowl with just enough 151 rum to cover. A little plastic wrap goes on top. After the wort chills the zest and rum get dumped in the fermenter. Ferment with a nice Belgian yeast that brings some pepper/clove/coriander, and it’s amazing. I swear I can pickup hints of the rum, but it may be wishful thinking.

I could see doing it with the wheat malt too. Maybe sub the hops out with something like saaz.

[quote=“JMcK”]I’ve not done this with American Wheat, but on other recipes, I’ll zest a few oranges at the start of the brew day, then place the zest in a small bowl with just enough 151 rum to cover. A little plastic wrap goes on top. After the wort chills the zest and rum get dumped in the fermenter. Ferment with a nice Belgian yeast that brings some pepper/clove/coriander, and it’s amazing. I swear I can pickup hints of the rum, but it may be wishful thinking.

I could see doing it with the wheat malt too. Maybe sub the hops out with something like saaz.[/quote]

I did this a while back with the basic wheat beer recipe. I used enough saaz to get the IBUs into the 20-22 range, then added the zest of one orange and, I believe, 1/2 oz or crushed coriander at flameout. Turned out yummy. :mrgreen:

[quote=“65SS427”][quote=“JMcK”]I’ve not done this with American Wheat, but on other recipes, I’ll zest a few oranges at the start of the brew day, then place the zest in a small bowl with just enough 151 rum to cover. A little plastic wrap goes on top. After the wort chills the zest and rum get dumped in the fermenter. Ferment with a nice Belgian yeast that brings some pepper/clove/coriander, and it’s amazing. I swear I can pickup hints of the rum, but it may be wishful thinking.

I could see doing it with the wheat malt too. Maybe sub the hops out with something like saaz.[/quote]

I did this a while back with the basic wheat beer recipe. I used enough saaz to get the IBUs into the 20-22 range, then added the zest of one orange and, I believe, 1/2 oz or crushed coriander at flameout. Turned out yummy. :mrgreen: [/quote]
Thanks guys - all great idea’s - learning a lot on this forum ! :cheers:

My 2nd batch ever, back when I was in the “let’s see what this will do” phase, I took that kit, added 2 lb of Honey, a couple of lemons and 1 lb. shredded Ginger root. Overcarbonated with maple syrup.
It was not much of a beer, but a real good stomach tonic. I still have a couple bottles almost 3 years later just for those stomach issue times… :cheers:

[quote=“JimRMaine”]My 2nd batch ever, back when I was in the “let’s see what this will do” phase, I took that kit, added 2 lb of Honey, a couple of lemons and 1 lb. shredded Ginger root. Overcarbonated with maple syrup.
It was not much of a beer, but a real good stomach tonic. I still have a couple bottles almost 3 years later just for those stomach issue times… :cheers: [/quote]
LOL ! :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com