American Wheat bear Extract Kit

We brewed our first batch of this beer and the beer says to ferment for 1-2 weeks. Is it ok to let it ferment in the primary for 3 weeks? Couple notes: After 24 hours I had to replace the air lock due to the water evaporating out with the bubbles. Color is much darker than anticipated even with the posts saying it would be darker. Only took 7-10 minutes for the wort to chill down to less tahn 100 degrees.

Three weeks is good, I actually perfer four weeks myself on most beers. But I hardly ever secondary. And three is more than plenty for an american wheat beer.

Extract beers will be darker than all grain versions. One way to to get them lighter would be to add half the extract in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

You should really chill down lower than 100. If you get it to 80ish and then top off with cold water you should see better results with fermentation. You want to pitch in the low 60’s for most ale yeast.

Thanks for the response! So 3 weeks should be fine for the primary fermenter? Also, we pitched the yeast when the kettle was just barely warm to the touch so I would say it was around 70. it’s fermenting around 62 degrees and I’m planning on moving to a warmer spot today.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Three weeks is good, I actually perfer four weeks myself on most beers. But I hardly ever secondary. And three is more than plenty for an american wheat beer.

Extract beers will be darker than all grain versions. One way to to get them lighter would be to add half the extract in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

You should really chill down lower than 100. If you get it to 80ish and then top off with cold water you should see better results with fermentation. You want to pitch in the low 60’s for most ale yeast.[/quote]
2.5 gallons at 100 and 2.5 gallons at 40 should get you pretty close to 60.