American Rye Ale yeast

I have a NB kit for an American Rye Ale on deck and had an interesting surprise this morning when I went to retrieve my Wyeast American Rye Ale smack pack from the fridge.
The pack looked slightly swollen. I immediately assumed that the yeast had been mistakenly activated, but on further investigation I realized that the nutrient was in a slightly frozen slurry state.
I am guessing that this yeast pack is done, and I would like to brew in the morning.
I happen to have a pack of Danstar Nottingham yeast that is very viable.
Looking for opinions on whether I should just make the major hike to get the proper yeast or would this work in a pinch. I realize predicting the flavor profile would change. I am not very good with yeast “profiling” and usually stick to what is given me.
Thanks
Jim

What number is the Wyeast? They don’t specifically make an “American Rye Ale” yeast.

Sorry… My mistake.
It is a 1056 American Ale. I activated it and left it out and it has swollen so I am going to try and get a starter going.
Still curious if I had to make the exchange.

Thanks
Jim

[quote=“twangthang”]Sorry… My mistake.
It is a 1056 American Ale. I activated it and left it out and it has swollen so I am going to try and get a starter going.
Still curious if I had to make the exchange.

Thanks
Jim[/quote]

I’d make a starter with it and postpone brewing until the starter is ready. It may take a bit longer than usual. Remember, if the yeast isn’t ready, you’re no more ready to brew than if you didn’t have malt or hops!

Thanks Denny…
Starter is started… Will wait and see what comes of it.