American ipa w/ wy1007

Last night I made an extract American/imperial ipa
1lb biscuit
1lb caravienne
9lbs light dme
1oz magnum (FWH after grains were steeped)
1oz cascade @15,10,5,2,0
dry hopping for 4 days with 2oz cascade
OG 1078
IBU 66ish
6 gallon batch

I pitched WY1007 with a 1.5L starter and it hasn’t taken off yet. The other forum posts I’ve read say it is a slow starter and just be patient, but now I’m just curious because after cooling, aeration, pitching usually I have something blowing through some sugars at this point.

I am fermenting at 64-66 as well.

Also I was curious to try this yeast since I had it at home versus the same brew I did last month with wlp001

Be patient…that’s a great yeast.

For an American IPA, how about a pale ale? I’m thinking of doing a pale ale using all German ingredients.
I’m going to call it a GPA, for a stronger version I’d study real hard to raise my GPA to a higher level.

For an American IPA, how about a pale ale? I’m thinking of doing a pale ale using all German ingredients.
I’m going to call it a GPA, for a stronger version I’d study real hard to raise my GPA to a higher level.[/quote]

Yep, for APA also. You can use it anywhere you’d use 1056.

[quote=“drdyancey”]Last night I made an extract American/imperial ipa…[/quote]With only 66 IBUs, no bittering addition, and at 1.078, I’d call that an “Extra Pale Ale”. :wink:

+2 on 1007, it’s a slow starter but finishes strong.

We have liftoff!!! it took almost 4 days for anything to think about happening, but now that its up and running its pretty impressive. This is the first one that has launched krausen through the blowoff completely.
next step dry hopping…

[quote=“drdyancey”]We have liftoff!!! it took almost 4 days for anything to think about happening, but now that its up and running its pretty impressive. This is the first one that has launched krausen through the blowoff completely.
next step dry hopping…[/quote]

Patience. You’ll get better results from your dry hops if you add them after fermentation has finished. I like to rack to secondary before dry hopping, but that’s not mandatory.

so after primary and racking onto a couple ounces o’ hops, how long should I dry hop for? last time I did it for a week, but I’ve heard as low as 4 days up to 14 days.
does it depend on the type of hop you are using or is it an arbitrary number of days?