American Honey IPA

Here is what I am thinking of brewing for a 5 gallon batch. Any ideas or changes you suggest. I was think of doing a late addition of the extract.

6 0 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup

1 1/2 lb Orange blossum honey end boil

1 lb Briess Amber DME

1/2 lb Briess Caramel 40L

1/2 lb English Medium Crystal  

1 oz centennial 60 mins
2 oz centennial 20 mins
1 oz cascade 10 mins
2 oz cascade 5 mins

1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop

I forgot to add I am using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II liquid.

Just my thoughts here but that much honey might thin the batch and spike the heat alcohol-wise. Might consider lowering the honey or upping the malt?? Other than I like your hops.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of adding more malt. I want a bit of the honey flavor to come out but not be over whelming. What do you think of 9 lbs gold and add the 1 lb dme with 15 mins left in the boil or even put the 3 lme at 15 mins? I was getting a little close on the IBU but how much is to much LOL. I do like hops and a little bitter. Afterall this brew name is

Honey Not Tonight

Ok I made some changes how about the following added 3 .15 lbs Gold malt and made it a late addition at 15 mins. And dropped honey down to 1 lb or should I leave it at 1 /1/2 lbs?

1/2 lb Briess Caramel 40L

1/2 lb English Medium Crystal steep for 20 mins

6 0 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins

1 lb Briess Amber DME 60 mins

3.15 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 15 mins

1 oz centennial 60 mins
2 oz centennial 20 mins
1 oz cascade 10 mins
2 oz cascade 5 mins

1 lb Orange blossum honey end boil

1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop

I’d say that might let more malt shine through w/ 1# of honey. Maybe a sub of the 40 with some honey malt?? Just my .02

I was thinking that also. But I hear honey malt can be overpowering at times. I dont want it to be all honey taste I want to let the hop profile come out also. I like .02 thats why we are here. So you are saying go with the 9 lbs LME and on 1 lb honey correct?

I always liken it to my culinary background; you can always add more (honey in secondary) but you cannot take away. The last thing I think you would want is a beer that is hot on the tongue.

I wish someone with more experience would jump in here to agree or tell me I’m full of it.

Honey will ferment out just like sugar. You will not taste honey in the final product if added during the boil. Adding a lb or so won’t hurt the beer either. It will just help to dry it out by upping the OG and lowering the FG. Personally I prefer my IPA’s to be a little more dry and always add a lb of some kind of sugar. Honey malt will add sweetness to the final product. So if that’s what you’re looking for, add maybe 1/2lb of so. If you’re looking to dry the beer out honey will work… along with many other sugars. Most of which will be cheaper than honey.

Hopefully this info will help.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... with-honey

I took the risk this winter and added a pound of buckwheat honey to a IIPA after fermentation had already started. I did Buckwheat because I think I remember someone saying it had more flavor than orange blossom and I added it two days in to let the yeast chew through some fermentable material before uping the gravity and because you are supposed to get more of the honey flavor to shine through adding it after the boil and cooling process. Mine turned out great but I’ve heard people argue that this method risks infection.