American Amber Ale Extract Kit

This is my second 5 gallon batch. I am having an issue with my chilled bottles. Fermented 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, bottle 3 weeks. I am having an issue with my beers after they are chilled. When I open a warm bottle that is sitting at 60 degrees there is a nice hiss when opening. When pouring it has great head and carbonation and is almost clear and the beer tastes great. When I open a chilled beer there is less of a hiss and the beer pours extremely cloudy and pours with very little if any head and the taste is bitter. It is not flat though. What’s the deal? I didn’t use and irish moss or any additives. Although I did cool the wort with a wort chiller in about 15 mins. I used a double mesh strainer to filter out the hops and other solids after the boil. If this is chill haze isn’t it a visual issue and not a taste issue. Any thoughts? The bottles were conditioned at 70 degrees for 3 weeks.

The cloudiness is chill haze. That’s why your warm beers don’t experience it. And chilling forces the CO2 into the beer- hence less hiss sound.

The chill haze will go away with two to three days of refrigeration. This will cause the suspended proteins to drop out.
What was your yeast and wort temperature for the first three days of fermentation? Hop schedule for the boil as in the recipe?
American Amber Ale is one of my favorites. I’ve never experienced bitterness, just good Cascade hops. I do primary for three weeks before I consider bottling. Don’t use a secondaary to often anymore.

[quote=“flars”]The chill haze will go away with two to three days of refrigeration. This will cause the suspended proteins to drop out.
What was your yeast and wort temperature for the first three days of fermentation? Hop schedule for the boil as in the recipe?
American Amber Ale is one of my favorites. I’ve never experienced bitterness, just good Cascade hops. I do primary for three weeks before I consider bottling. Don’t use a secondaary to often anymore.[/quote]

I had a few beers in the fridge for 2-3 days and they are still cloudy thinking they would clear. Temp was 68 degrees, jumped to 70 degrees during active ferm, then 69 degrees and got it back to 68 for remaining. I used US-05. Rehydrated it using the method in JP book. Pre boiled water sprinkle yeast rest 15 min, stir gently rest 15 min before pitching. 2oz Cascade 60 min, 1 oz Cascade 1 min. I’m not so much worried about the chill haze as much as I am the head retention of the chilled beers.

My first brew was an American Wheat and I used the same yeast and it was pretty darn clear with 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks bottle conditioning.