Amarillo Hops

My LHBS has a pound of Amarillo pellets in the freezer for $19.99. I darn near pulled the trigger on them tonight but resisted because I have a ridiculous amount of homegrowns in the freezer (probably 8 lb all together of Cascade, Centennial, Zeus, Willamette, Sterling, Chinook) as well as a nice selection of commercial pellet and leaf hops from last year. With all the homegrowns I harvest each year, my problem is having TOO MANY hops, if you can believe that. I’m going to have to start devising ways to burn through my stash each summer to make way for the freshies.

[quote=“El Capitan”]I’m going to have to start devising ways to burn through my stash each summer to make way for the freshies.[/quote]West Coast IPAs, with 10+ oz per 5-gal batch, are a great way to use up hops.

I now keep a nice big decorative pot on the porch filled with older hops
to use as a pisstoon.

Love the porch in the morning, hate to let all that nutrient go to waste, need to get old hops wet before they go to the compost…its all good…N-Pee-OK :lol:

I only respond because of your sig line. :wink:

Cheers man.

Yeah, I just worked up a recipe to use up some 2010 hops + a couple new ones. 12 oz total.

:lol: pinnah, you’re a nut! Who ever heard of a pisstoon? I like to add my nutrients directly to the compost pile.

As for the West Coast IPA, are you talking about maybe hopbursting from 20 min, dropping 2 oz every 5 min?

I have an absolute TON of Zeus, my best producer from the start. Lots of Centennials too, although I really don’t like Cents all by themselves. They seem kind of cloying and candy-like. Maybe I just need to boost my gypsum or something… :blah:

Thanks for the laugh, pinnah :smiley: