Am I getting close to picking?

First year trying to grow hops, and I’ve tried to read up on as much as possible. Based on what’s seen in this photo, do you think I’m close to being able to pick some? I know it shouldn’t be rushed, and I’m certainly in no hurry. I just don’t want them to brown too quickly…we are getting some serious heat right now here in PA with very little rain in the forecast. I have been watering as necessary, and for first year Cascades (I also have Centennials coming in) I have a nice little batch to pick.

Thoughts?

Sorry…guess it would help if I uploaded the photo. Original post updated.

They look a little too “pretty” yet, to me. By the time mine feel papery and smell really hoppy, they look a little rough. The edges curl slightly, and start to brown a bit.

This video seems about right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsT-x19III

[quote=“uberculture”]They look a little too “pretty” yet, to me. By the time mine feel papery and smell really hoppy, they look a little rough. The edges curl slightly, and start to brown a bit.

This video seems about right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsT-x19III[/quote]

+1. I was going to say the same thing – too pretty. For maximum flavor and aroma, wait until they look kind of crappy, half yellow and brown and withering. Then they’re awesome. I haven’t picked any of mine yet (in Wisconsin), although it won’t be too much longer now. I’ll probably pick my Hallertau in another week. Cascade is always a couple weeks later, so it won’t be until about the 2nd week of September that I pick my Cascade this year.

Thanks for the help. I figured it was early, but I just wanted to be sure.

One of the best ways to tell is that when you get to a point when you think they may be ripe, pick a cone and mash it up between your hands and smell. This aroma will give you a benchmark as to where you are in relationship to harvest. If it doesn’t smell hoppy enough, let them go a few more days, then smell again. Also, you should realize that the cones at the top of the plant tend to ripen a little sooner than those near the bottom. Commercial growers usually take samples at about 14 feet if I remember correctly.