Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Alternative yeast for Saison extract kit

I’m going to brew a 10 gallon batch of NB’s Saison and was hoping to do 5 gallons of it with a different yeast, kind of as an experiment. I’m on the fence whether this 5 gallons should be an easy drinker or something pretty interesting.

Any recommendations on yeasts or types of yeast to use? Here’s a link to the kit page, and the specs for this beer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... t-kit.html

O.G: 1.056 READY: 2 MONTHS

SPECIALTY GRAIN
– 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 20L

FERMENTABLES
– 3.15 lbs Gold Malt syrup
– 3.15 lbs Gold Malt syrup
– 1 lb Gold dry malt extract

HOPS & FLAVORINGS
– 2.5 oz Hersbrucker (60 min)
– 0.5 oz Hersbrucker (15 min)

YEAST
– WYEAST 3724 BELGIAN SAISON YEAST.
Optimum temp: 70°-85° F.

you could use some brett in there.

+1 Brett
Add the dregs of your favorite funky beer into secondary. Then wait for the payoff.

Edit- dry hop it with a bunch of Sorachi too. Then send me a few.

What do you think of this yeast:

Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend
This blend contains yeast and bacteria cultures important to the production of spontaneously fermented beers of the Lambic region. Specific proportions of a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture produce the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders. Propagation of this culture is not recommended and will result in a change of the proportions of the individual components. This blend will produce a very dry beer due to the super-attenuative nature of the mixed cultures. Apparent attenuation: 70-80%. Flocculation: Variable. Optimum temp: 63°-75° F

Sounds like would be used as the primary yeast, and not just added to the secondary, which I’ve heard is common with brett.

For adding Sorachi, how much would you recommend for dry hopping?

Thanks for the input. I hadn’t considered using brett at all

Wyeast 3711, this way you can taste the differences in the saison strains.

Just started my first partial mash Grand Cru Lambic!!
I would like to do one every 6 months with blending in mind.
Is there any links to websites on blending?
Or can anyone advise me?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com